THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Easy to make Target stand for Turkey or rifle as well.....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easy to make Target stand for Turkey or rifle as well.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Mike, hope you don't mind, but I built one last night and modified your design. Thought some of you might want the details.

It takes about an hour to make and only cost me $32 inculding paper and tax.

Materials needed(Home Depot):

2- 1" PVC Elbows(.44 each)
2- 1"x1"x1" PVC Ts(.56 each)
2- 1"x1/2"x1" PVC Ts(.93 each)
1- 1/2" SC40 PVC Conduit joint 10' (1.09 each)
2- 1" SC40 PVC Conduit joints 10' (2.30 each)
1- Box of 100 #8x1/2" round head sheet metal screws(2.87 each bx)
1- 4" PVC Drain pipe 10' (7.82 each)
1- 35" wide 140 ft roll of contractors paper(9.97 each) (in the paint section)
1- 1x6 fence picket (cheap)
2- Paper clamps(had them on hand, have no idea what they cost)

Cut 2 1" conduits 37-1/4" long
Cut 1 1" conduit 37" long
Cut 1 1/2" conduit 37-1/8" long
Cut 4 1" conduits 10-12" long
Cut 2 1" conduits 2-1/8" long
Cut 1 4" PVC piece 36-3/4" long

37-1/4" 1" pieces are the sides
37 1" is top
37-1/8" is the paper roll axle
4-10" pieces are the feet
2-1/8" piece are just connections from the 1x1/2x1 tees to connect the feet Ts

Assemble all PVC, Square, drill pilot holes slightly smaller than #8 screw at every joint(3 per Tee), screw a screw in every joint hole, cut a slit all the way down the 4" 36-3/4 pipe, insert paper roll and while inserting pull tab of paper through slit and slide roll into pipe, unscrew one side of 1/2" axle and pull from joint, slide paper roll/4" pipe onto axle, reinsert axle in T, replace screw into axle, Drill 3/8" hole in one side of clamp, drill 1/8" hole in other side of clamp, remove one clamp arm on the small hole side, level clamp on top 2" back from elbow, mark through big hole and little hole onto the pipe, drill small pilot hole at marks, insert screw through 3/8 hole and screw to top pipe, cut fence picket 36-7/8"

I did not glue anything incase something breaks you can just replace one piece instead of the hole thing.

Once you set up the target stand prop fence picket 1x6 against the 4" PVC to keep stray pellets from busting the pipe. You now have a sweet target stand that's light weight and beats the heck out of moving a 3/4" sheet of plywood around. I have a portable Big Game shooting bench and this set-up is easy to move around to get out of the wind, find a shady spot, take to the camp, etc etc.....

Here's the finish product less the fence picket:

Back:

Front:

Ya'll have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seems like alot of work.
i like real estate signs and paper plates.
but im a cheap ass SOB. Big Grin

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
When you pattern turkey guns for a hobby, it's worth every penny. I was sick and tired of dragging that damn 3/4" sheet of plyboard around to find shade, get out of the wind, etc etc. This thing is light weight and carries easily over the shoulder. Goes real well with my portable shooting bench.

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built one similar to that, but I used 2x4s for the most part. It is nice to have something like this when a range you go to doesn't really have the target butts it should (or at the distances you want it at). I wish I would have seen this before I built mine, though, the wood version is a little heavy. Not bad, though, and it's about $12 cheaper, if that matters to anyone. Can you pull the top part out of the base for moving it around?

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of my friends would make short work of your frame with the way they shoot, but it looks like a great idea to me. Could be made very transportable, too. Good job!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great idea I would like to see your portable Big Game shooting Bench.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I tried the new stand out this past Friday and it worked like a champ. I've never been able to replace shotgun pattern targets nearly as fast as this is. The 4" drain pipe and clamps really hold the paper tight for a good solid flat sheet even in wind.

I disassembled the target stand last night as after running a couple dozen turkey loads through it, the stray Heavier and harder than lead pellets had began to scratch it a bit on the sides. I had some EMT that was the perfect size to slip right over the 1" PVC, so I cut to length, pulled the top elbows off,slid it right on the sides & top, put the elbows back on, and I'm back in business w/o having to ever worry about the flyers damaging the legs. As far as rifles go, if one can't put it inside a 3'x3' square, he probably needs far more than a good target stand Smiler

Swede,

Here's a pic of the bench:

and a pic of it folded with a cover:

The top exp metal surface is dipped in some type of non slip rubber coating.

I took the pictured rest that screws in it off and just use a small bench rest and rabbit ear bag.

When I first got the thing several years ago as a gift, I thought it was kind of silly looking. Then, I tried it a few times shooting rifles out in the open so I could shoot a little longer ranges than the range allowed and the thing actually worked very well. I use it for my turkey patterning as well as rifle shooting when I can't get to a stationary bench. They only cost 80 bucks at Sportsman's Guide Online and It's worth every penny.

That bench accompanied with my new target stand make an really nice portable shooting set-up.

Ya'll have a Good One,

Reloader