Find
Notify
Tools

Any Iowa Hunters?......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Anyone know if the bucks are still chasing any in Iowa? Post rut Activity?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Depends on what side of the state you are heading to.

In the Davenport area (far eastern side), judging by the nutty buck at the gun range the week before last, they are still out.

In the western side, things have cooled a bit on the Nebraska side of the river. Heard from a few bow hunters that the rut is tailing off.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
OK, just saw your reply on the other thread. That is close to my old stomping grounds (I hunt and grew up north of Omaha about 50 miles).

The rut is not at its peak, but there are plenty of deer out there. The Missouri valley area is full of the dang things, and they are a real driving hazard at night.

When I was back home over Thanksgiving, I talked with my hunting buddy quite a bit. He is still bow hunting, and said that things have calmed down, but that is in an area that just saw some high power hunting pressure. If you are going to be on the Iowa side of the river, they will only have had bow and a few black powder hunters.

Keep an eye out for cougars though. There are a number in the area, and one was hit in Omaha a few weeks ago.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

I was just out this past weekend and saw a couple of bucks still chasing does. I talked to a guy I know that has been bowhunting and he said they are still rutting. I know it's late, but we have had unseasonably warm weather this year, maybe that is why? I'm heading out this Friday for our area, which is north of Missouri Valley. Are you the one from A.R. that is hunting down by Oakland?

Good Luck,

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you the one from A.R. that is hunting down by Oakland?

Yep, that's me. The land owner called last night and said we shouldn't have a problem at all bagging bucks around the river bottom that goes through their small farm. I don't think it sees much pressure at all so maybe we'll luck onto some descent bucks.

I hope to arrive on Thursday Afternoon to get a good feel for the area and then slip in Mid-Day Friday to hang a stand.

Maybe we'll have a few late does in the area.

Good Luck to You All

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

Good luck to you too. Lets try to hook up here after season and compare results.

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been bowhunting and I'd say the rut is well dead. Has been for about a week in Story County. Although I am not really sure that the rut really differs in timing from one place to the other, it sure seems dead as a doornail around here.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am hunting in Lee county. Saw a small buck let it pass. On my way out to the truck saw a monster with a doe. also saw five does . I would say the peak has passed. Good luck.-223

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote