Find
Notify
Tools

Wisconson Black bears
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted
How hard is it to get a Black bear tag in WI? How many of you guys have BB hunted in WI and where? Just read something in Petersen's Hunting that said WI was pumping out some pretty good sized bears. Any info would help, thanks guys.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
From the bear hunters that I have talked to, you can expect to wait a minimum of five years.

I have hunted the Iron River and Brule areas in the past. Good hunting in that area with some real bruisers taken by the locals every year. I did my own baiting and had plenty of activity on my baits.

There are a lot of hound hunters in Wisconsin that will just about beg you to go bear hunting with them if you have a tag.

Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its up to about 6 years now for 3 bucks you get a perferance point. One per year after you think you have enoug you apply for a kill permit picking one of the zones you want to hunt in.

I killed a 490 last year I know of several well over 500 the past few years we shoot some real hogs. But athe avg bear killed in wis I belive is 150lbs. Mine was 6 yoa.

I know lots of hound hunters if you have a week or more and are some what picky I would think you could kill a 200 lb plus bear 300 plus are even rarer 400 plus good luck. Ive been hunting bears in wis sence early 70s this is my first really big bear

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote