Find
Notify
Tools

Sonora Trifecta
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted

Just got back from Sonora, Mexico. I shot two mule deer (26in and 29in), and a 15 point Coues deer. We didn't get to score them as I shot the three on my last day. The Coues deer has 15 points (my picture doesn't do it justice) and should make book.

Mule deer 1: 306yds, 2: 263yds, Coues: 120yds

Win mod 70, 270win, 140gr Barnes TSX, Norma, Fed match 210, 59gr H4831 SC, 3000fps.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FMC, I would recommend going to photobucket.com and setting up and account (no charge) and follow their directions.

Good Luck--Fish

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done -- congratulations!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
never been a fan of the Coues deer but that one is a beauty thumb

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! cheers

All nice animals. How long was the hunt? Who as the outfitter?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Very nice Coues!
Who was the Outfitter and what ranch were you on?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Don't speak Mexican so I don't know the ranch names. I hunted on one ranch 1 1/2 hours north of Hermisillo. Here there was a bigger Coues deer, seen by another hunter, who didn't shoot. It was allegedly in the 23-25in wide group and would have been one of the top Coues taken in Sonora. I don't know why he didn't shoot- ignorance I guess, he thought it was a whitetail and HE was shooting Mule deer?!?!?!?!?! We hunted him and Muley's for three days, but then decided to try another ranch.

The other ranch was 20 mins south of Hermisillio. We hunted here 1 1/2 days. I shot the three deer before 10 AM (on my last day-Friday 20th), and shot a Coyote at 11 AM- what a pisser!

one of us
posted Hide Post
FMC, I am a fan of the Coues and that one is awesome! The Mulies are nice for sure. What a great day afield, 4 critters--good on ya!

Great Hunting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
impressive success and what a coues--congrats....chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I love Coues and Mulies. All are very very nice. Congratulations.

I'm interested in who you hunted with also.

Isn't it odd how most mulies from Mexico have that prominent Roman nose? I've seen that time and time again. If you choose to mount them, might want your taxidermist to look into some mulies sculpted by Lancaster and/or Frazier, sold by Research manikins. They really represent what the mulies look like from that region.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Very nice and that is top notch Couse and I love hunting Couse deer!

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
They are going to get crushed by the Pittsburgh Steelers!

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FMC---goodness gracios that is one heck of a Coues.

I am a big time ceretified nut of the lil whitetail and I am here to tell you that is one heck of a deer!!!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Nice deer, great job!

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
AWESOME Coues! That thing is a slug! I love the big brow tines on your muley as well, we killed a couple with big brows this year, they really add a lot to the look of the deer. Who were you hunting with down there?

Congrats again on a great hunt,

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You just lived my dream hunt. That Coues is a freakin' hog! And the mule deer aren't too shabby either! Congrats!

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
We didn't get to score them as I shot the three on my last day.

That's one hell of a day's hunting! cheers

Great deer, that is the coolest looking coues I have seen.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
super coues deer,and a good mule deer,didn't know a person could take two mule deer in mexico?

Posts: 339 | Location: tx | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Absolutely wonderful deer. The Coues especially.
Who was the outfitter?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
A person can harvest as many deer as they can afford provided the ranch has permits available.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
WOW Eeker What a Coues deer, Congratulations on a fantastic trophy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
All I know about Coues is what Dobrenski has tought me... since he's guided the Sonora for Kelso, if he's impressed I'm suspecting that's one heck of a mini-whitey...

Congrat's!

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
The eye guards on that muley are awesome!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote