Find
Notify
Tools

First Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
Well, it's taken me about 8 trips over 16 years, but this Sunday I shot my first deer. (We've hunted birds since I was a kid, but have just recently gotten into big game hunting seriously. My dad got his first bull 2 years ago).

It was a spike, probably about 110lb's, but he's a buck and I'm damn happy about it. I shot him with a Winchester Model 70 Classic rebarreled in .300 H&H Mag using 200grn Noslers at roughly 260 yards.

We were huning in Area 41 in Arizona near Yuma. We had positioned ourselves on a bluff overlooking cotton fields where my dad had been seeing bucks for two weeks. It was our third day out and my last day to hunt. As the dawn broke we saw several doe and then two deer by themselves about 260 yards away (My dad had used a laser range-finder moments before it got light enough to make sure he had horns) I was prone, using my pack for a rest. My dad had the spotting scope and confirmed that it was a spike and told me to shoot. I pulled the trigger and the dust obscured my view. I racked the bolt and saw a deer running from the spot. I knew I had hit my deer and figured it was making a last run. Turns out that was another spike who was hiding near him. I asked my dad if that was the one I shot running and he told me that mine went down hard and wasn't going anywhere. It was a fantastic feeling driving into the butchers with hooves sticking out of the bed of the truck for once. [Big Grin]

Can't wait for next year.

I also have to say that I will use Burris ballistic-plex scopes from now on. My dad said he's about 260 yards and I just put the front shoulder between the 200 and 300 yard hash marks and pulled the trigger.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations JLHeard,
Did you by chance take some pictures? If so Please post them!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
The first deer is the best... until you get the second! Congratulations.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JL, Congratulations indeed. Good story to go with it too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
I've been hunting for eight years or so (and tagging along as a kid for 5 years before that) and have yet to be on an unsuccessful hunt, even though I have gotten only three animals. I have shot 2 small bucks and a doe, all of them under 50 yards. My first deer is one of my greatest memories. I am sure you will have more to follow. Congrats.

I just have one question. Why did you pick the 200 gr Nosler? It seems that for the smaller southern deer you'd want something a little lighter and faster expanding, esp in the open country you described. Not criticizing, just curious.

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
FR, this was a load I put together in hopes of being drawn for elk. I didn't get a tag, but I really wanted to use this rifle so I took it, however I didn't have time to put together a new load.

Also I had it shooting less than MOA using the Ballistic-Plex hashes in my scope. IE, I knew I could hit with this rifle.

I'm the sentimental type when it comes to guns and calibers, which explains the .300 H&H (to go with a .375 and soon a .270). Since my dad gave this to me as a law school graduation present, I've been waiting to take my first deer or elk with it. [Smile]

[ 11-05-2002, 02:29: Message edited by: JLHeard ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
JLHEARD... we live in the same city! That was a wonderfull story. I am going next week to 36C for whitetail. I am taking a very serious custom 25-06.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. This is the sweet feeling why we hunt. I still remember my first doe and my first buck. You realize that now you have the hunting bug you can't get rid of it. Good Job!!

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the buck! My first was a 2 point at 50 yards broad side. Could not stop shaking. Even better having your dad there to experience it with you.
I also enjoyed the Edward Abbey quote. I have usee it often at the expense of being called a damned environmentalist for reading Abbey, but I still think we need to fight for the west.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amosgreg:
Congratulations JLHeard,
Did you by chance take some pictures? If so Please post them!

Well, it took me awhile, but here it is. [Smile]

-