THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Kentucky muzzleloader pics (for you Hot Core)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kentucky muzzleloader pics (for you Hot Core)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I usually do not photo the does that I take but per a request or two, here she is. I shot her with my Knight muzzleloader at about 75 yards offhand. I was walking back to my truck. Naturally she was about 30 yards from it. I ran out of my Barnes/Knight 180 red hots, so I used the T/C shock wave, a yellow tipped 250 grain sabot, with 3 pyrodex pellets. It grouped about the same as with 2 but when I was at the range today, I was grouping about 3" at 200 yards. When sighted in with just 2 pellets (3" high at 100), I wasn't even hitting my target at 200. Not sure why, I guess the bullets were dropping. I started using 3 pellets and was about 6" high at 100 and 2" high at 200. I lowered the scope to dead on at 100. Then I drove straight to KY with my new load. Forgive the lack of good photos, my mother-in-law took them, and she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

This doe weighed about 130 dressed. Another BIG doe. I hit her kind of high because the shot was offhand, she ran about 60 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, Thank you and the ma-in-law. Looks like a few flicks of "headless folks" I've been guilty of myself. In my case the "excuse" was/is "I was so focused on the Deer I forgot you were around!" Please feel free to let her use it too.

Good report on the Black Powder rifle too. I've not done any Black Powder Hunting (yet), so the info on the 3-pellet Load vs. the 2-pellet Load is real interesting. Especially your observation about the ;arge Point of Impact change at 200yds.

Three of my real close Hunting buddies use Knight BP rifles.

Depending on the age of a Doe, we have found some of them to be extremely difficult to pattern and kill. They are indeed worthy of remembering.

By the way Doc, I do hope you are keeping a Hunting Album with the flicks and a copy of the actual Hunt with them. I've found them to be a great source of pleasure as we age. And get flicks of your Hunting Buddies and the Processor too. They change from time to time for various reasons and it is nice to see them to refresh those memories.

A Doe that size is very exceptional where I hunt. Congratulations.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, if you are ever interested in taking up a muzzleloader, I will say in my short experience with them (10 years), that it is worth the effort to find a load with 3 pellets (150 grains). I feel this way because of my style of hunting. I have plenty of places to shoot a deer at 200 yards. It is NOT necessary but it sure makes those bullets fly flatter. I posted it awhile back but this one antlered buck was shot at 188 yards with a Knight rifle. I put him on the wall for various personal reasons but it was my first experience at a shot that far with a frontloader:

It was getting late and I couldn't tell he had only one anter. He was grazing side by side with another buck of equal size and they were both broadside, so I just picked one and shot.

One thing is for sure, those bigger fatter bullets sure make a 'whack' noise when they hit.

Using a muzzleloader will increase your time in the field in some states, and since I didn't get a Kentucky buck with my rifle, the muzzleloader is second in line for this week, then it is back to the bow after that.