New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter Competency Test Poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite frankly, I'd prefer we implement voter competency testing first.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would strongly advocate a competency test for getting a tag and for owning a gun.

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm missing the fuss: why shouldn't a hunter have to prove his ability to handle a firearm in such a way that it meets a certain minimum standard of competency? I mean hell, we give some of those bozos the right to go into the woods but we don't bother to figure out whether they are safe with a high powered weapon in their hands?

Personally, I'd feel a lot better.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impingement:
As I recall we test drivers; if the same quality of hunters can be expected to result from instituting a "hunters" test as the motorists we get from a "drivers" test, I think we would be better off to leave well enough alone.
+1 thumb Exactly my thoughts and position on the issue.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogMaster:
I would strongly advocate a competency test for getting a tag and for owning a gun.
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
I'm missing the fuss: why shouldn't a hunter have to prove his ability to handle a firearm in such a way that it meets a certain minimum standard of competency? I mean hell, we give some of those bozos the right to go into the woods but we don't bother to figure out whether they are safe with a high powered weapon in their hands?

Personally, I'd feel a lot better.
Why?
What good would all that really do in the real world?
I've seen video of police firearm instructors shooting themselves in the foot, etc. It just goes to show, after these slob hunters "learn" the rules and "pass" the tests, they are free to go out and do whatever.
There is nothing to stop them except a very few game wardens and fellow hunters!

Our local game warden wrote numerous tickets for violations this year. All of the regs that were broken, are explained in the FREE state synopsis available anywhere you buy a license. And if you don't understand as it is written, there is a TOLL FREE number to call for a clarification.

The next time you see someone leaving garbage or doing something stupid, get their vehicle license plate number and turn them in. I've done it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

These are the people who will be responsible if they take away our and our kids' right to hunt!

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIG1LOST
posted Hide Post
NO,,,FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS.

Now codgitate(spelling?)

a good horse,a churchill sized Maduro,a true rifle,and 50 year old brandy..................

Posts: 87 | Location: Louisiana,but want to be back home in the Rockies..... | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote