New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locks on gun cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you have to use TSA approved locks on gun cases, or can you use regular padlocks?

Mad dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a set of identically keyed locks. My gun case takes two padlocks. I take a couple extra with me in case TSA decides to cut the first two off.

Your gun case is inspected by TSA in your presence and is then locked by you. It shouldn't have to be opened again enroute.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't be opened again, but mine was.

Get the TSA locks. On the way over, I had one of those busted open by TSA when they were to lazy to fetch their keys.

On the way back, TSA opened my case (with the keys) and inserted a note to that effect. If the locks were not TSA locks they would have been cut off.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are suppose to be the only one to be able to open the gun case. I have never used TSA locks and never had any problems, twice to Africa and back. Just when you have TSA checks before putting on carisle, have them mark it has have benn checked.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the TSA locks, although coming back from Namibia, through Dulles one of the two locks was sto;en!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are not using TSA locks it would pay to do as some other posters have done. Buy a set of 4 locks that all use the same keys. Put one set in the case with a note to the TSA guys to please relock with extra locks provided after inspection. This is probably the best way to go about it. They are available from Wal-mart for not much. Tuff Pak seems to circumvent this problem.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the TSA regs per t. Carr post. Specifically section 142 CFR 108.203(e) 2(iii).

States that only the person checking the baggage has the key to open. Even though his post was more for international travel, I believe the same applies for domestic.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/122101325/m/322109425

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote