posted
Hi
What do you think?
Br
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lousy penetration, so stick to close-up broadside shots, but if that's all you have by all means don't stay home.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My sentiments too.

Use a premium slug, such as Remington Copper Solid if you can get them there, and be prepared to pass on the shot unless you can get a clean heart/lung shot.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<OttoDude>
posted
If I remember correctly, an "experiment" was conducted in Finland in the 90's where shotgun slugs were tested in a few driven hunts. The results were less than satisfactory, and the idea to allow slugs for moose hunting was dropped.

Regards,

Otto P.

one of us
posted Hide Post
only if you fell off the tree stand and are sitting between the antlers

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington copper solids MIGHT be OK but do you really wanna risk wounding a great critter like that?

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use 'em.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use them by choice either, and with a pile of shooting irons to pick through I don't need to, but that does not completely answer this question.

What if the only weapon you had available to you was a 12 guage shotgun, would you go moose hunting or not? Me personally, I would but only using a premium slug and also with the understanding to myself that I am going to be very limited in the shot I take. I'm also going to be familiar enough with the gun to know the max distance that I can keep the slugs in a 4" circle (about 10 cm), and absolutely NOT take any shots farther away than that distance. Am I limiting myself to the opportunity I would have with a 338? You bet I am but even if I do not get to take a shot I still will have a good time in the woods.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
I would not risk losing a moose with the shooting of a shotgun slug. I would rid that thought all together from my mind. A good 30-06 and 200 or 220 weight bullets will do the job just fine.....bigger caliber the better in my eyes.

<RAO>
posted
In old days,shotgun slugs were used upon such dangerous animals as tigers,but they were not good performers,so "explora" or "paradox" guns with brass cases were preffered.
I have used "Brenekee" slugs with great satisfaction on tough wild boars,and had complete penetration and exit of slugs.They might be the answer if range is kept reasonable.