THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking for hunting options to add to my US vacation

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for hunting options to add to my US vacation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,

I most likely will be making a family trip to California in Sept/Oct, and was looking for hunting options to add to the tourism. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for? Taking a couple of flights would not be a problem. The time I could allocate to hunting would be between 7 and 10 days.

I believe the drawing tag system is out of the books as Im a foreigner, and I imagine most hunting should have to take place on private land. My only requirement is to be hunting free-range. Outfitters are welcome too to present some options.

Many thanks in advance,

Aurelium

Posts: 29 | Location: Hunting Grounds | Registered: 09 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you have any idea(s) what you might enjoy hunting for and with what weapon?

not sure the rules for foreigners but i'm going to bet that you would be considered a non-resident just like someone from the east coast traveling out west so it would be a license issue then public land would be open to you but probably still logistically easier to find a good guide/outfitter

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pigs are always an option.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. Our preferred quarry would be mountain game, and I only really considered goat, but I abandoned that idea as I was under the impression that all the opportunities recquired drawing a tag.

That being said, I was thinking of combining several animals, like pronghorn and bison or antelope and mule deer or any other deer. I was wondering if maybe outfitters could offer package deals or something of that sort.

I do not know the gun hunting seasons for these animals and please excuse me if I look and sound a bit confused, as the paths to hunting in North America and particularly in the US are completely alien to me.

As for weapon, I am a rifle hunter and would like to bring my own gun, but I am open to renting one if paperwork is too much of a hassle.

Posts: 29 | Location: Hunting Grounds | Registered: 09 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aurelium Fitch:
Hi folks,

I most likely will be making a family trip to California in Sept/Oct, and was looking for hunting options to add to the tourism. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for? Taking a couple of flights would not be a problem. The time I could allocate to hunting would be between 7 and 10 days.

I believe the drawing tag system is out of the books as Im a foreigner, and I imagine most hunting should have to take place on private land. My only requirement is to be hunting free-range. Outfitters are welcome too to present some options.

Many thanks in advance,

Aurelium

This is a kind of long state. What part of the state are you visiting? Best deer hunting will be in the Sierras or the Coast Range. There is a huntable antelope herd in the north, maybe Lassen County. I have not done much since moving back here in 2000 except the occasional trip near Trabuco Peak, and not much since the fires there. Decades ago I knew a guy with an apple orchard who had trouble with black bears climbing his trees in the fall.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14368 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
You may want to look at Aoudad hunts in Texas. There are quite a few outfitters that hunt in mountainous free-range ranches. You could add an oryx, javalina or boar to your hunt in the same area.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nevada Wapati:
You may want to look at Aoudad hunts in Texas. There are quite a few outfitters that hunt in mountainous free-range ranches. You could add an oryx, javalina or boar to your hunt in the same area.

I second this suggestion. If you are truly a free range hunter you would not regret hunting Aoudad. Done so myself twice for some of the most challenging hunting in very interesting terrain in arguably the best state ( Texas ) in the USA. Certainly the best people in the USA Smiler
A hunting license is inexpensive for non-citizens and hunting guides fairly numerous. Hunt costs are rising but remain affordable. Other game may concurrently be huntable, with the purchase of higher cost licenses and hunts but if you decide on Aoudad I would suggest a dedicated hunt as you will have your work cut out taking a good ram based on my experiences. Good luck and enjoy.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
If you're successful, that's more meat than you can carry around in a back pocket Do you have plans how you will handle that? Most outfitters can deal with that well, but getting it home to enjoy on enjoy on the table might be more trouble. Bison and antelope are easy to get in South Dakota, but a 2000 lb bull might get a tad pricey to ship so it stays frozen.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest question is: what is your budget?

There are plenty of landowner tags here in Utah (I am not an Outfitter).

If you want a great mountain experience, look at going on an elk hunt. That to me is a hunt that will really give you a great mountain experience.

Aoudad hunts are great, and I really enjoyed the ones I went on. However, will all due respect to my Texas friends, it is not even comparable with the country you will see on an elk hunt, as opposed to an Aoudad hunt.

Feel free to PM me or you can call me on whatsapp and I would be glad to help you as best I can. I have been hunting big game here for more than 35 years. Certainly no expert, but I have hunted about everything here.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big game hunting is tough in California even for us residents.

The only big game open year round in CA is wild pig.

You really are better off hunting out of state. Texas has year-round hunting of non-native species, and would be my recommendation for anything other than pig.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your very interesting input.

Regarding Aoudad, I have already hunted free-range aoudad, so although I am sure hunting sheep in Texas would be an incredible experience, I prefer to prioritize other species.

As for the meat issue, im afraid that being a foreigner I will have to find a way to give it a fitting destiny, but I dont think Ill be able to enjoy it back home.

My budget would be between 15 and 20K.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Your first issue is that you are a non-resident, (albiet a foreign non-resident at that, that may or may not affect your ability to possess firearms in a particular state, although I believe that federal law carves out an exception for those that have a current lawful state hunting license or permit issued in the United States), for the states located in the West. Most states that are draw states are currently in the process of having applicants apply for tags. Some draw tag periods may be closed. You will need to check with each state's department of wildlife to determine your eligibility. As to hunting California, I agree with what delloro said.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
First, where will you be in California? Depending where you will be there are some interesting options, especially if you’re open to birds or fishing. Big Game is difficult for a non-resident but there are permits that can be obtained through our Private Lands Management program where you can purchase a hunt for Blacktail deer, pronghorns or even Tule elk. California is the only place where Tule elk exist.

Offshore fishing can be excellent, especially out of San Diego. Last year people were catching 200 lb. Bluefin Tuna on day trips and September was one of the best months last year. Dove season is also open the first half of September. If you’re here in late October, duck season opens the 3rd Saturday of the month.

If you’d like some assistance give a few more details or send a private message and I can connect you with some of the best guides in California.

With all that being said, if it was me, I’d purchase an elk tag in Utah or New Mexico and enjoy an elk hunt during peak rut. Hunting big bulls in the rut is one of North America’s best hunts and you’ll be here during that time.

Posts: 3854 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
First, where will you be in California? Depending where you will be there are some interesting options, especially if you’re open to birds or fishing. Big Game is difficult for a non-resident but there are permits that can be obtained through our Private Lands Management program where you can purchase a hunt for Blacktail deer, pronghorns or even Tule elk. California is the only place where Tule elk exist.

Offshore fishing can be excellent, especially out of San Diego. Last year people were catching 200 lb. Bluefin Tuna on day trips and September was one of the best months last year. Dove season is also open the first half of September. If you’re here in late October, duck season opens the 3rd Saturday of the month.

If you’d like some assistance give a few more details or send a private message and I can connect you with some of the best guides in California.

With all that being said, if it was me, I’d purchase an elk tag in Utah or New Mexico and enjoy an elk hunt during peak rut. Hunting big bulls in the rut is one of North America’s best hunts and you’ll be here during that time.

Yes some Indian reservations in AZ have tags available. And fishing here can be epic. Great ideas.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There are lots of outfitters in lots of western states that can give you what you need, a over the counter tag and an a hunt.

California outfitters can sell their tags. So can outfitters in New Mexico, Colorado and Utah. I believe Idaho also has a similar situation.

Places in California will have Tule Elk, Roosevelt Elk and Rocky Mountain elk, blackbears and Columbian blacktail deer plus of course wildboar.

Here are some links, I do not know anything about these outfitters or their business practices.

https://oakstoneouts.com/california-tule-elk-hunting/
http://hunt.tejonranch.com/
http://www.arrowfiveoutfitters.com/html/elk.html

The only mountain goat hunts in the USA that are over the counter are in Alaska. You could also hunt in British Columbia or the Yukon territory for mountain goats OTC.

This used to be known as the Cabelas booking agency, now it is known by Worldwide Trophy Adventures. https://worldwidetrophyadventu...-game-hunting-trips/

They have hunts in all Western States and Canada for all North American species. You can select if you want a
"no draw" hunt or a draw hunt in the sorting tools.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote