Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Routt National Forest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
My friends have never taken any "big" bulls. Like I said, they really don't mind going home empty handed. They just enjoy the trip and the good times. The reason I'm getting in on this so late is that my way is paid and heck...I cant refuse that! I was a butcher before I started my career in education. So, you can guess how I get to go for free.

Since I started my career in education, I have not been able to make the trip...it is difficult to convince most superintendents and school principals to allow one to take 10 or 12 sick days in a row!! Although I've hunted elk before, I have been out for a while and admit that I have no knowledge of this area. I will purchase maps.

From what I gather on the web, there is a considerable amount of private land in GMU 4. So, I want to make sure I stay away from places I'm not welcome. I'm hoping to gain info. about trailheads or campgrounds from which I can set a "Base Camp". I'm athletic so hiking 5 miles up a horse trail and then veering off a couple of miles to set up my hunting camp is not a problem. I like to get away from the crowd.

I hunted White River National Forest once, but I can't remember the name of the trailhead. Anyway, it was crowded! I hadn't come prepared to get very far from the base camp. I saw several muleys but only one elk. I did manage to see horses and hunters everyday!!!

One final note. No disrespect to ATV riders (I have one too), but when I hunt my ATV is in the garage. I want to find an area that has restricted access.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
My suggestionsis to get some geogtraphical names, look the lay of the land over using topos from terraserver.
Good luck, I hope luck is on your side!

Posts: 4239 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have much experience in Area 4, but have hunted Area 5 for over 20 years. Lots of elk in that entire region, but not a lot of real big bulls. I've done most of my hunting north of Hahn's Peak along the Wyoming line. If you look up the Colo Div of Wildlife's web page, they have maps online of all the hunting areas that will give you some pretty good info.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote