Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 Combined tech Ballistic tips
 Login/Join

posted
I had a guy shoot a buck at about 80 yds with the 243 95gr Ballistic tip in factory Win ammo. He had been told all kinds of s*^t about velocity, kenitic energy and nothing about bullet intergity.

The guy could shoot is the only good thing I could say about the load, an almost perfect heart shot. It make a hell of a mess and he had to pop it again when he got to the animal to finish it off.

There was about a foot of blood shot meat on both sides of the deer. His finishing shot was on the oppisite side of the first one. I didn't find a wound channel more of a shrapnel looking wound.

Has any one else seen this happen or is this a once in a while kind of thing?

Barny

Posts: 21 | Location: NM | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since he did it TWICE right in front of you, I'd say he has for sure got the wrong bullet for big game hunting. I've always felt this was the curse of the 243 and why a lot of guys hate this cartridge. There are a lot of SORRY 6mm bullets running around.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BarryH>
posted
No it is not an incommon occurance with the BT.Seems to happen more often with the BT than any other. There are many better choices out there. Rem core-lokts would be a vastly better choice in comparison.

Barry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I beg to differ on the BT and .243 discussion, we load for a friend that insists on using the things even though we use Partitions in our .243's . A partition will hold together like none other, but this guy has taken 5 deer in 5 years with 5 shots and says he doesn't have to track them any. He shoots for meat and doesn't complain, so it must work alright, but I would never take a questionable shot with a BT in a .243, move up into the .30 caliber range and they are the best deer bullet for my money, nads down, it's all I shoot in my .308 and .30-06, I have yet to see one fail, and I've taken them from brisket to ham and they keep on going, and I have run them through BOTH heavy shoulder bones at less than 100 yds. and they make a nice exit wound and keep going, I always find the green tip when we butcher, but I have yet to find copper or lead in the bullet channel.
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<MNTNMAN>
posted
More evidence that the BT's are dang good varmit killers.

posted Hide Post
MNTNMAN, That was my thought when I looked at the wounds, It ought to really work on a song dog.

Barny

Posts: 21 | Location: NM | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load the Ballistic Tips for several of my friends for their 243's and they love them. Myself I shoot them in mine for varmits only. I think that the 100 grain Nosler Partition is the best for Whitetail and my second choice would be Core Locs. I have one guy that hunts big northern kansas whitetails with 70 grain Ballistic Tips and I keep telling him that one of these day's the bullet will cause him to loose a big buck but he has tunnel vision and will not change. don't get me wrong I like the Nosler Ballistic Tips and the C/T Ballistic Silver Tips but do not recommend the 6mm BT's for Deer hunting. Just one man's opinion. [Big Grin]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use ballistic tips in everything from a 257 AI to the old 06. These are an excellent bullet for deer except the light weight bullets in 6mm. When I take to the deer woods with my 243 its loaded with 100gr Nosler Partitions.

[ 11-13-2002, 21:56: Message edited by: Rich Anderson ]

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote