Find
Notify
Tools

Up close and personal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted
I spent the first few days of my Kentucky trip in western Ky. Hunting on public land. It was trying to say the least. Between warm temps, unfavorable winds, dog training, bush hogging and road scrapping it’s a wonder I saw any deer. I finally headed east to spend a couple of days with my brother. That afternoon he sent me too a small property that’s loaded with deer. He had not been getting any pics of a shooter, but there were lots of does. I checked the trail cam and saw the same thing, small bucks and does. I headed towards the back of the property. When I got to the field edge I noticed some buck poop. I took another step and saw some more. I stopped and looked around there was deer litter everywhere. It became obvious they were feeding on the Honey Locust pods from 3 trees at the edge of the cedar thicket. There are no trees that I can climb or even hang a lock-on in. I am pondering the situation when I hear a small noise to my left. I look up and a yearling is standing there staring at me. It did a little half blow and ran back over the hill. I do a little looking around and decide to build a ground blind. I walk to a lone cedar about 50-60 yards out in the field and cut off 3 good size branches. I placed the biggest fullest one behind me and the 2 smaller ones in front. I take out my nippers and start trimming a shooting window about a foot wide by 18” tall. I hear a noise to the right and downhill. There is a 4 point standing in the field 15 yards away looking at me. He snorts and runs back into the cedars. It’s almost 3:00 I have got to get set. I get everything situated and start the waiting. I keep thinking this is never going to work. My legs are cramping and I have already changed position twice. I look at my clock; it hasn’t even been 45 minutes yet. Luckily I am back up on my knees when I see a deer thru one of the cedars. One of the two does ease out into my shooting lane. She is only 16-17 yards away. Her eye looks as big as a dinner plate. Im trying not to look at her directly. She looks my way and stares for a few seconds but doesn’t seem alarmed. She takes a step or two and then backs up. She bends a tall piece of broom straw over and starts seriously sniffing at it. I think to myself this jig is fixing to be over when another deer snaps a small stick. She whips her head around and looks at the other deer. This is my cue; I draw my bow back and settle the pin. When she brings her head back around to the front I double lung her. She only made it 40 yards. I can’t believe it worked. I got the hardest shakes I’ve had in quiet awhile.

First pic is taken from where she was standing. I circled the shooting window.

I did finally see a nice buck chasing a doe on the last evening. Believe it or not two dogs messed it up twice. One time the doe was walking right to me when they came down the road and scared her off. Then right at dark the buck has headed right to my grunt call when they came back thru chasing a doe.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thay's a great doe. Some good eating there. In the parts where I hunt, the dogs would not last long running on property that was not the dog owner's.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote