New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not about wolves, but almost!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
THis was in todays paper. I support the deputy and the Sheriff on this one. thumb It is very delinquent of the dog owner. Sheriffs Office link,

dedmunds@co.summit.ut.us <dedmunds@co.summit.ut.us>

I sent a short note to the sheriffs office in support of his Deputy for his actions. What do you guys think?

Sheriff's officer criticized for shooting dog

By The Associated Press Thursday, December 22, 2005

PARK CITY, Utah (AP) -- Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmunds has been taking flak since one of his deputies shot a dog that allegedly was chasing a deer north of Park City.

"We've shot people up here and have had a fraction of the response," Edmunds said Tuesday.

Edmunds and county animal-control officials will discuss modifying procedures in the fatal Dec. 9 shooting of Jenny Schapper's 6-year-old dog, Rowdy.

The dog was shot near the Snyderville Basin's Trailside neighborhood.

Deputies said Rowdy was one of two huskies that had cornered a large buck.

"The two huskies were moving in on the buck. It was clear the buck would be killed," Edmunds said. The deputies "had used every conceivable means to make the dogs disperse," he said.

Animal-control officers brought Rowdy's body and a citation to Schapper's home.

"He was out in their truck, and I was crying and screaming. I kept asking, 'Why? Why did you shoot my dog?"' she said. "I just thought, 'How could you cite me knowing that my dog is dead? Can't you see I've suffered enough?"'

Schapper said she was too shocked to retrieve Rowdy but later asked her sister and a friend, Natalie Hatch, to recover the dog's body from the animal shelter.

Hatch said the pair was directed to a trash bin, where they rummaged around for the husky, which had been killed with a shotgun.

"It was the most horrific example of professionalism I've ever seen," she said.

Edmunds said that animal-control officers at the shelter should have been more sensitive.

"Had I been there, I would have dug that dog out of the Dumpster myself," the sheriff said. "I feel terrible about that. We will be rectifying that procedure."

But Edmunds said the bottom line is that dog owners must keep their pets under control.

"I've received 50 phone calls on this in the last week. It's an emotional issue," he said. "We understand dogs are a part of the community up here, but they cannot be allowed to roam free."

County Commissioner Sally Elliott said authorities will have to overhaul procedures.

"We may have to look at the sheriff using stun guns so they don't have to shoot to kill. We do it with people, and it's just as appropriate in dealing with animals," she said.

Elliott said residents must be shown respect by county authorities.

"We're going to have to have some customer-service training for our animal-control officers. You'll see this whole thing revamped," she said.

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune, http://www.sltrib.com

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogs that run deer should be shot. Period.

the chef

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
While I don't agree with them just tossing the dog in the dumpster... Shooting it was well with in reason!

Wether it be chasing deer or cows, dogs on the loose should be shot, if they can't be called off as it sounds like in this case.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lhanson8
posted Hide Post
I don't agree with the dumpster either, but the whole thing could have been avoided if Ms. Schapper would have been a responsible pet owner.

Posts: 82 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
What's any different a couple of dogs running a deer than a pack of coyotes catching one?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
The law used to be in MN. that a Gane Warden HAD to shoot any dog he sae chasing deer. I don't know if is has been changed but I know of many dogs that were killed.Any citizen should be able to kill one!I love dogs, but keep them under control, I have always kenneled mine>

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In some states its legal to hunt deer with dogs.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
What's any different a couple of dogs running a deer than a pack of coyotes catching one?

None. That is why the dog was shot. It is also why lots of hunters dump yotes when they see them chasing deer too.

As previoulsy stated, this whole thing falls on the owner. She created her own "suffering" by being irresponsible. And the way I see it, she can blame herself for her dog's death.

No sympathy here.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But Edmunds said the bottom line is that dog owners must keep their pets under control.

"I've received 50 phone calls on this in the last week. It's an emotional issue," he said. "We understand dogs are a part of the community up here, but they cannot be allowed to roam free."
Anytime you live where Livestock is part of the economy, you will find killing "pets" is just part of maintaining the animals.

Can you imagine her thoughts if her dog had been in the part of KY where I am right now and it got ahold of one of the cheap Thoroughbred's Tendons, they had to put the horse down and then she got the Bill for $100,000 and up?
---

Just a darn shame the Dogs have to suffer/die because of irresponsible Owners. A Pet's right to "run free" stops at the Owner's property line.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once gave a good friend a WireHaired Pointing Griffon out of the best litter I ever had. He called me about a year later and told me he had to put her down because she and another dog had gotten into a neighbor's sheep. We both hated it, but, at the same time, we both KNEW it was what had to be done! Dog's that take up hunting livestock or big game on their own start liking it, and you won't break them of it easily.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:

Anytime you live where Livestock is part of the economy, you will find killing "pets" is just part of maintaining the animals.

Can you imagine her thoughts if her dog had been in the part of KY where I am right now and it got ahold of one of the cheap Thoroughbred's Tendons, they had to put the horse down and then she got the Bill for $100,000 and up?
---

Just a darn shame the Dogs have to suffer/die because of irresponsible Owners. A Pet's right to "run free" stops at the Owner's property line.

I live in Kentucky and if any dog of mine got ahold of a Thoroughbred's Tendons if they didnt shoot the dog I would. $100,000 is cheap for some of those thoroughbred's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Cochise County Arizona, the sheriff is taking a lot of flack for shooting stray dogs. Their owners just let them run loose and they pack up. The owners should also have to pay some stiff fines for letting those dogs loose.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that people are acting completely stupid with dogs these days.
A lot even some here on AR as putting them on the same level as humans and that is crossing the line.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lhanson8:
I don't agree with the dumpster either, but the whole thing could have been avoided if Ms. Schapper would have been a responsible pet owner.

Ditto for me on that one. A responsible pet owner doesn't let his dogs or cats run free. If she loved the dog she would never have let this happen.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote