Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which 300 Magnum??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted
That is true, being able to shoot that distance is much more important, but with the bigger magnums you have a much greater margin of error. .308 drops close to 50 inches at 500 yards, compared to 25 for the .300 rum. Much more wind drift also due to the slower velocity. But any shooter taking shots at those ranges out to know exactly where the bullet is going to hit, with any gun.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

the 308Win with 130 gr. TSX bullets impacts with more than 1500 fps of energy at 500

Just hope it isn't windy....

But I agree--practice is the #1 thing. #2 is accuracy.

Part of #2 is bullet selection for shooting at such ranges. A WSM with a nice heavy, "pointy" bullet will drift less in the wind and hit with more energy at 500 than a RUM with a lighter, blunt bullet. Wouldn't it be a pitty to take all that extra recoil and muzzle blast for nothing?

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I agree with Allen Day's post completely but I must throw in...Where are you going to find the other .300's ammo if something unthinkable happens?You can get .300 Win Mag ammo almost anywhere...Even Riggins Idaho...

My opinion..Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote