New
Find
Notify
Tools

amosgreg how goes deer season
 Login/Join

<biff>
posted
Amosgreg, Have you been out with the bow yet in search of bambi? If so have you had any luck? gabe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got access to a 40 acre farm not to far from work. Was out opening weekend and had a shot at a doe but missed [Frown] .
In talking to a couple guys who are also hunting the farm there are quite a few deer in the area and hunting should be good once the rut starts.
This farm is a transition area and primarily a Doe hangout.
I should be able to get out a night or 2 during the week and also at least once each weekend. Sure beats driving 1 to 1 1/2 hours every time [Big Grin]

How about yourself? See any nice bucks?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amosgreg,

The weather in your area has probably had something to do with everything thus far. The colder weather setting in may be good for us both. I did a quick 2hr hunt Tuesday night in SW Pennsylvania (also in a transition area), hoping to get a shot at a doe and ended up having a small 8 point walk out of the woodline 15yds from me. I let him walk. I think this may be a good sign that things will be picking up shortly as he was all alone and I've noticed the pre-rut has kicked off. I've also noticed a few juvenile bucks wondering around by themselves.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As is expected Aquavet,
Rut activity dosn't usually kick in until the first Real Frost has killed the leaves and they start turning. I did notice 2 snall scrapes in the area I saw the doe(She was working some apple trees over and not responding to the scrapes yet)
No rubs or other scrapes in a tour of the land late the first morning. In talking to one of the other guys, giving my impressions of what I saw and the trails and patterns I saw, he confirmed I had a pretty good grasp of the land. I also found all but 2 of the tree stands that were hung and he seemed impressed that I found them in 1 3 hour still hunt.

I expect things to pick up over the next week and if it stays cool a real nice rut happening in mid November. If it gets hot again, then all bets are off [Big Grin]

[ 10-17-2002, 15:43: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<biff>
posted
Greg,

I have been knee deep in building a garage so haven't had any time to shoot my bow this year, only been out once kicking around the woods that I hunt during gun season saw some sign but haven't done any real scouting as of yet. One of these days I am gonna start back up with the bow, just to get some more time out in the field. It is good that you have private land to hunt on, koz public land just is crazy sometimes. Well I hope you stick a biggun!!! gabe