THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Spring break 2018- TX with my twin sons

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring break 2018- TX with my twin sons
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
Through the incredible generosity of AR's bwanajay, I was able to take my sons to south TX on their spring break to do a bit of turkey hunting.

To say it was good is a complete understatement. Jay met us at the ranch on Saturday afternoon and we drove around a while and tried to get the lay of the land. The next morning, we got after it.

In short, the next 3.5 days were off the charts. Will and I killed 5 birds between us the first day, and we killed birds every day. I was able to double with both sons, and each on of them was able to take a bird solo. We took a lot of old turkeys (four were 4 years old, and all but one were 3 or older).

Jay and his wife Heather had us to the house a couple of times for excellent dinners, and we got to meet up with bwanamrm a couple of times as well.

I only have my sons at home another year and a half before they go off to college, so times like these mean a lot. Thanks again to Jay for making these memories possible.

I was testing a new turkey load that is devastating...

The first 7...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is how to spend spring break. I never understood why KY makes us wait so long to hunt turkeys. 4 big toms and 16 has in our back field right now.

Posts: 11389 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
yeah I wish we just had the whole month of April- the limit is the limit.

I know a bunch of kids that killed birds in the snow this morning.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would give the young hunters the second to last week in March. Turke start up hard by mid march and open the Spring adult season First weekend of April.

Posts: 11389 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well done!!!

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Looks like you folks had a great trip.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim
Congratulations on some good hunting.
I don't know much about Turkey hunting. To me several of those birds look large. For that area is that seasonal or typical ?
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All those birds are big.The spurs are huge.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post

These were older birds, many with really good spurs. I think they were good sized birds, but I don’t know if any were over sized for the area. That was the first time I ever hunted turkeys that far south in TX.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Niiiiiice haul and congrats dad! I'm hoping my son comes around on hunting and/or fishing.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are they Rio Grande turkeys?

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. There is a limited population of Eastern wild turkeys in a few counties in East/North East Texas, but in the rest of the state it is Rio Grandes.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Yes supposed to be all Rios but one of them the first day looked 100% Eastern. Maybe just an oddity, but he had no Rio characteristics.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That happens with turkeys and besides the introductions of Eastern Strain wild turkeys it seems like I have heard/read of some Private Land Owners releasing birds in some pasrts of the state, and because the biggest difference among the various species/subspecies/strains of wild turkeys is plummage coloration and there is/can be a lot of lap over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a haul Tim!

I've only gone once and quit too soon so spooked the birds coming in. I have a question.

Are birds that big and old still tender and good to eat? Do they need special care cooking?

Years ago Mom had me pick up 100 chicks, for the hell of it I got half dozen turkeys too. She had no clue what they were, Dad just grinned, as he knew.

Coyotes got two right away, one Tom, other 3 were hens. They ate the hens and let Tom grow for several years til he was some over 30lbs. He let the lease go and they moved to town. In order to clear the place out he killed Tom and said he just couldn't eat him after they'd played together. I wasn't around close enough then to have tried any of him.

Thanks, and glad you and the boys got 'er done.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
George,

I am sure a hen or a jake would eat better , but a gobbler is really good. I prefer to cut into chunks, marinate over night, put on skewers and grill. The key is to grill high heat and fast so you don’t dry it out. If you over cook it gets dry and tough like most wild game. It is also really good fried as nuggets.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I know that was a fun and memorable hunt. Nice work.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Man they grow up fast!
The kids that is.

Congrats to all. I know it was a blast.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim, Drew and Will are some fine young men with good heads on their shoulders. I really enjoyed spending time with you guys. I have lots of country you guys didn't get to so next year...

Posts: 1805 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine hunt and time spent with your Sons.
BTW I prefer Shiner Bock to Wild Turkey too.

Posts: 42 | Location: SW Ar. | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
It was great to catch up with you guys and meet Tim's sons. Fine young men. Their mother did a great job with them.... Big Grin

Seriously, it was great to see young men enjoying their time in the field with their Dad. If more adults introduced kids to hunting we would see our numbers grow exponentially!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote