New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low fence, High fence???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have to start off by saying I’m just a 30 year old hunter from California. I have hunted in Texas on a fenced Whitetail ranch (I was hunting Javelina/Hogs) and I have hunted in South Africa, but 95% of my hunting time is spent on public land. I can see everyone’s point and to each his own.

My question is what is the difference between a low fence and a high fence? If the deer can leave a property with a low fence, what is the purpose of the fence? Can they just leave sections of the property, but not the entire property? Do the low fences have a breakaway upper half (like they do in Africa)?

Thanks - beer

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
A low fence the deer can come and go, they aren't held within the field that is fenced. The purpose of the the low fence, at least out here has nothing to do with deer, but rather keep cattle and other livestock in the desired fields.

The breakaway upper half, I'm just not sure I understand, maybe someone more knowledgeable then me can help you with that one.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
It is quite simple. Low fence is there just to keep the cattle in, but the high fence is there to keep the deer and money in and other hunters out.

I have never hunted inside a high fence but have hunted outside a few. I have been invited on an Axis doe culling on a high fenced place in February. I guess I will go just see how the other half live.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the answer my brain was looking for. A reason for a “low fence”. Thanks Sevenxbjt.

The breakaway upper half was talking about, was a fence I saw in South Africa. The upper half had these little breakaway bars that allowed large animals to go through. I saw 2 smaller Kudu bulls go right through an 8 ft fence (and they were back the next day). I was wondering if that type of fence was considered the “low fence”. Now that I realize it’s the 3 ft barbwire fence that I see everyday, I feel like an idiot.

Oh well, back to drinking… beer

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
I guess I will go just see how the other half live.
Good for you. Enjoy your time and if you are lucky, you will get asked back again.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Depends on how big the property is behind the high fence. I've hunted behind high fence a couple times. When my sons were in college and our time together limited to Christmas break, we had no choice but to hunt together behind high fence. We opted to hunt for a specific critter which added to the 'hunt' experience.

I'm scheduled to go whitetail hunting for a 150'ish buck on a 400 acre fenced property in early January. It is what it is. I have a 170+ Wyoming whitetail on the wall that came from a virtual no fence property. But I know that it will still be a challenge to hunt a 150'ish buck on 400 acres. Good enough for me!

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIG1LOST
posted Hide Post
I lived in the Tx. hill country for quite awhile in years gone-by,,,and used to drill water wells all over the hill country/west/south Tx.,,been on lots of places with all kinds of fences,,seen lots of animals havin' all kinds of inter-action with,,on,,around,and OVER all of the afore mentioned,and here is my take on the hi/low fence thing.

While 'wellin' I have SEEN deer stand at the fence,flat footed and clear an 8 ft. no sweat.I have SEEN deer take a 12 ft. at a easy run starting about 50 ft. back.
I have also SEEN antelope jump fences,,which I have been told a hun'erd times,, THEY WILL NOT DO !!!!

Say what you want. Believe what you want.

Since those exper.,,I have no trouble with huntin' hi-fenced ""RANCHES""!!!.Pastures are another thing entirely wave

a good horse,a churchill sized Maduro,a true rifle,and 50 year old brandy..................

Posts: 87 | Location: Louisiana,but want to be back home in the Rockies..... | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated here, the purpose of the "high" fence is to control deer movement. However not all high fences are there to keep deer "in" a certain ranch and/or pasture etc. I am currently hunting on a 225,000 acre ranch along the Mexican border that has a "high fence" around it's entire perimeter. The purpose of the high fence is to keep the neighboring deer OUT. Along the Mexican border from Del Rio, Tx. all the way down to Boca Chica, Tx., the federal government (USDA to be exact) employs cowboys, called tick riders. Many are college educated. Almost all work off horses. Apparently back in the 1920's/30's, there was a fever outbreak in cattle here in Texas, that must have devasted many heards - I'm not sure. Anyway that fever was caused by a tick, from Mexico, that targets cattle. These tick riders ride up and down the Rio Grande river searching for stray cattle from across the river. They also check heards inside the "quarentine" prone areas, and if this certain tick is found, they will quarentine the entire pasture. This causes the landowner/ ranchers major grief. The cattle have to be dipped, then rechecked, re-dipped, etc. before they can be moved. At times our pasture has been quarentined. When that happens then all of our deer hides, etc. have to be checked (called "scratched") and or sprayed down before leaving. The tick riders will even spray down bulldozers and maintainers that have been working in a quarentined area. The tick inspectors have access to virtually every ranch within probably a 25 mile distance from the border. I do not know all of the particulars and science of it but that is the bulk of it.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
As stated here, the purpose of the "high" fence is to control deer movement. However not all high fences are there to keep deer "in" a certain ranch and/or pasture etc. I am currently hunting on a 225,000 acre ranch along the Mexican border that has a "high fence" around it's entire perimeter. The purpose of the high fence is to keep the neighboring deer OUT. Along the Mexican border from Del Rio, Tx. all the way down to Boca Chica, Tx., the federal government (USDA to be exact) employs cowboys, called tick riders. Many are college educated. Almost all work off horses. Apparently back in the 1920's/30's, there was a fever outbreak in cattle here in Texas, that must have devasted many heards - I'm not sure. Anyway that fever was caused by a tick, form Mexico, that targets cattle. These tick riders ride up and down the Rio Grande river searching for stray cattle from across the river. They also check heards inside the "quarentine" prone areas, and if this certain tick is found, they will quarentine the entire pasture. This causes the landowner/ ranchers major grief. The cattle have to be dipped, then rechecked, re-dipped, etc. before they can be moved. At times our pasture has been quarentined. When that happens then all of our deer hides, etc. have to be checked (called "scratched") and or sprayed down before leaving. The tick riders will even spray down bulldozers and maintainers that have been working in a quarentined area. The tick inspectors have access to virtually every ranch within probably a 25 mile distance from the border. I do not know all of the particulars and science of it but that is the bulk of it.

Interesting, I have never heard any of this, anyone else have experience with these "tick riders"?

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yes, tick riders are still out there. Their primary job is to control the influx of Texas fever tick which has been eradicated in Texas but still exists in parts of Mexico and is brought in by livestock and wild game. That is why you see few Mexican cattle brought into the States, but alot of American cattle in Mexico. Also why you have to dip your Whitetail or Mulie capes shot in Old Mexico unless they have been frozen solid for 24 hours.

Called Texas Fever Ticks because they came up from Texas on cattle drives and wreaked havoc in their new environs and cattle with a low natural resistance to the pest. As one might expect from the name, caused fever and death in cattle with no immunity to them.

A year or two ago the tick riders found a nilgai population that crossed the Rio Grande River and into a state park on a regular basis... they ended up shooting the whole herd. Serious stuff, the Texas Fever Tick!

Having been raised in south Texas, most are familar with tick riders and some of us raised on old westerns saw it as a dream job! Alas, the facade is not the reality and it is pretty tough work!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had a flashback of memory, I usually talk to the tick riders in our camp in the evenings while having few adult beverages. I remember one of the tick riders telling me that the fever really hit the northern heards, in I believe Kansas, Iowa, the worst, because these heards had even less immunity to the fever than the Texas heards. I don't think I dreamt that. I will see one of the riders next week and will ask-if I don't forget.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote