Find
Notify
Tools

monster moose!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

An australian friend of mine sent me a picture of a giant moose, allegedly spanning 101" (??).

He's very curious as to where and when it was shot. Now I tried to include a picture here, but I couldn't figure out how to do it...I don't have a website available where I can portray it (since the "image"option below asks for a URL)...

I can send it to interested parties....the pictures is 107k

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Frans. I'd be interested in seeing the picture. As a first guess, I would say probably Alaskan/Yukon moose, close to the coast where the feed is good and the winters relatively mild. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans, i live in alaska and have never seen anything that big. Please send a photo when you can.

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see it too. Likely Yukon/Alaskan Moose but they have, form what I understand, been taking some monster Russian's too. Can't wait to see it!

Best Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Please send it to me, also? Thanks!
I'll gladly post it, if you wish.

-

Unbelievable! Thanks for this fantastic photograph.

[ 04-09-2003, 01:12: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I recall the world record width for moose was an 84" bull killed on Mt. Susitna by a guy using archery tackle. I think 101� is probably BS.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an old picture and has been around for awhile. It is the perspective that makes it look big. More like mid-sixties but nice to be sure.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
looks like a picture I saw of a russian (KAMCHATKA)moose a few months ago

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I believe that one was killed in Siberia 2 years ago. I had the picture e-mailed to me at least that long ago. I have heard conflicting reports (could have been the Kamchatka Peninsula, might not have been), but have never been motivated enough to follow up.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful trophy; but it is NOT 101" wide.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought, the antlers don't look wide enough compared to the length of the head to be 101". But I haven't seen all that many moose. Wouldn't mind shooting one like this next season though ;-) Well, probably 2004 season at the earliest, taking into account that I haven't applied before and I probably need preference points. :-(

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Moose is on the Huning Report Newsletter. They say it is a Russian Moose between 500-600 pts. www.huntingreport.com/trophy-gallery

-

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting buck fever looking at the picture!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a jumbo moose for sure!

My questimate is that the bull is in the high 70's

101 inches is close to 8 1/2 feet.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No matter how you look at it, it's going to be a bitch to pack out.

"Hey honey, I think we are going to need a bigger house!"

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Frans,

Ask Les if he is still using that rubber tape measure. [Wink]

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans, for Alberta your still good to go for this season. Draw deadlines aren't until the end of June. Watch for the draws to open. It is a very good idea to start building your priority for Moose, Elk, Pronghorn, Grizzly (good luck with this one), Goat (no priority on this one but don't plan on drawing this season as I have a feeling this is my year [Big Grin] ),Mule deer......

Chuck

Sorry Frans, I didn't understand your thread when I first read it. Your right it will probably be a year or four befor you get drawn depending on the areas you are putting in for. Start appplying though.

[ 04-11-2003, 04:08: Message edited by: Chuck Nelson ]

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
gee, i hope i see something half that size this year, cause the way the rumour's are flying Ontario is going to spike bull's ONLY for 2004 season.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It might not be 101 but it is a dam nice moose.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It is a deceptive picture, when you consider that the Bulls EAR is as big as the hunters entire head, the logical explanation is that the size of the smile on that guy belittles the moose. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck dude,Hows it going. Fred(derF)

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I thought I might skip this years goat draw until I prove to myself that I can climb above 10,000 feet and make it back in one day. So you're OK on the goat draw as far as I'm concerned...unless I get in shape quicker than anticipated [Wink] I skipped applying for grizz because I really didn't have a clue for which area to apply...and with those odds...I'll be old and senile before getting enough preference points. Maybe I will have to start realizing that there are species on this earth that I will never shoot at. I fear I've dwelled too long on foxes, roe deer and red deer.

Frans

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Wayne:
gee, i hope i see something half that size this year, cause the way the rumour's are flying Ontario is going to spike bull's ONLY for 2004 season.

Geez I hope thats a load of crap. Doesn't make sense either.
There is a lot of talk though. Talking about closing seasons, or eliminating the calf hunt in some southern areas too. That will kill a lot of the camps. I have not had an adult tag in about eight years. What do they expect us to do, hunt grouse? [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
>>"what do they want us to do, hunt grouse"

Eh, most likely the response to that would be "not hunt at all". And when you don't hunt, you might as well turn in your guns too.

That's the big threat in the netherlands right now...when they changed the hunting law into the flora and fauna law, and by doing so turning big game (roe deer, red deer, fallow deer, boar) into just wildlife, shooting them could no longer be considered hunting...and a hunting licence would no longer need to cover the ownership of guns required for that (we (or rather they) don't have a seperate gun licence for hunters in the NL, the hunting licence covers the guns)..so the heat has been on for hunters to *prove* that they have been actively involved in hunting/culling of "big game" in the Netherlands (abroad doesn't count) or loose the right to own centrefire rifles.

The fight is still on apparently, my cousin, still in the NL the poor sod, reports that this year he had his licence issued including the rifles, but his dad had his application returned...chaos seems to rule...

But I'm taking this thread into a political topic...sorry.

Frans

one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can't believe any pictures anymore. If you get up close to the game with a wide angle lens, whomever stands behind it looks much smaller. But especially now with the ease a faking pictures for the net,(like the fake huge mountain lion pics that went around)
Beauty of a moose.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<The Hunting Report>
posted
We have recently revamped our site.
The new link to the monster moose is the following:
The Hunting Report - Monster Mosse Photo