New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mississippi 6 pointer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to Mississippi for Christmas. Managed to get a couple for the freezer. One of them was a real nice 6 ptr. I believe he was the king of the woods that I was hunting. He had huge bases for a six. I'm guessing him at 3 1/2 years old.

Try as I may, I can't figure out how to get pics on here. Can I e-mail a couple to somebody and have you post them here for me?

Thanks, Jay

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Jason's deer

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, I sent a couple as attatchments in a e-mail this morning.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Interesting buck, congrats!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, here's the storie.

I arrived in Miss. on Christmas eve. I only had 2 days to hunt and was feeling really doubtful about getting anything for two reasons. #1- I had never set foot on the land before and 2 days isn't much time to pattern deer. #2- They had been hunting this area for a couple of months prior to me getting there. I should also note that the area was hunted regularly with dogs. Anyway, I did a quick scout that evening before dark to find a starting place for the next morning.

Daylight found me sitting on a powerline downwind of a well used trail. It didn't take but 20 minutes for it to get interesting. A fair sized doe came into view. She kept looking back into the thick stuff, so I let her cross the powerline. 5 minutes later a little 4 pt. came out with nose to the ground, hot on her trail. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I took him to guarentee meat in the freezer in case I saw nothing else on the trip. That afternoon and the next morning I saw many does, but not the "hot" one from Sunday morning. I found many fresh scrapes and a BIG fresh rub on the back of the property, so I set up a quick blind where I could see this sign. On my last afternoon, I had only been on stand for thirty minutes when I here my uncles truck coming down the powerline. Then I here the horn honking and him calling my name. Now, my uncle is an avid hunter and he knows this is my last chance, so I assume that something is very wrong if he is interupting. All I could think was something happened to my 5 mth. old daughter. So I grab my gear and doubletime it to his truck. Once there, he tells me that his ex-wife is at the house and wanted to see me. You're Fu**ing kidding me. Needless to say, I was pissed.With all the horn honking, I new my hunt was ruined and went on back to the house with him, but not quietly. Once at the house, I realized that I had left my hat in the woods. After about a 30 minute visit, I took off to retrieve it just as shooting light was fading. About halfway to my stand, I saw this 6 ptr. eating acorns. He was about 300 yards away, but the 300 SAUM did its job. Once back at the house, I had to forgive him because I would have been in the wrong place "that day". Funny how things work out!

I know he's not much, and he's got an ugly left side, but he came with a funny lttle memory.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)