Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting versus Shooting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I think you're just reaching out for attention. To say that your original post was "simple minded" may be true in your vernacular, but in the big scheme of things, "simple minded" is a epithetical description of the writer and not the question itself. I sense that you're the only person here who doesn't understand it that way.

Realistically, why would you CARE what others think of our hunting methods as long as they're legal (God, have I heard that phrase a few time before on this post). No matter what group of people you associate with, if you say you're a hunter, it's left up to them. They may think if you don't go on safari or climb in the McKenzie range, or maybe even shoot doves in Argentina, you aren't a hunter by THEIR definition. I call myself a taxidermist, but I know that I fit someplace well in between the best talents and the wannabes. As long as you think you're a hunter, you are the only person you need to satisfy. If you were using this post to have someone blow roses up your ass, you went to the wrong place.

And just for your edification, I didn't perceive it to be a "simple minded post". It may have been intended to be "simple" by your standards, but many of us find our hunting heritage something to defend from within and without. Now PLEASE, put down that shovel.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
You simply can not understand that if you are so hot about defending hunting from within and without, that means contesting other hunters when they say that because another person enjoys or thru necessity has to participate in the sport by a different set of rules or standards, that they are not hunters.

If you want to defend hunting from within, don't you thjink it might be a good idea to try and get other hunters to stop slandering people because of the way they hunt. You talk about me running things around and what I am wanting out of this topic, yet you sit there and say that as long as I think I am a hunter, that should be all that is necessary for me.

Well, it isn't. I think that just because I haven't gone on safari or hunted dove in Argetina or anything else you mentioned, I should not be classified as less of a human or in this case hunter. I buy my license, obey the laws of the state I am hunting in, sight in my rifles, eat the game I kill, transport it in a manner that is not offensive to most folks, so the way I choose to hunt or have to hunt, does not make me, or anyone else less of a hunter as long as they or I am okay with it.

If I am so stupid or however you are trying to put it, then why are you and I still having this conversation, where you seem to be more than well armed with all sorts of deragatory remarks about someone you have never met or talked to, on a POSBS topic. From what I am seeing, you really think that you are trying to educate me or something, not sure what your game is, but in my interpretation of life and things there of, you seem to have an agenda of your own that you are trying to push.

Now, if you can rationally and without further character slams, explain to me on one hand that we should defend hunting from within, while on the other saying that other hunters opinions and or statements about me being or not being a real hunter, should not offend me.

If we are going to defend hunting from within, and not give the forces from with out ammunition, would not it be a reasonably good idea, to stop labeling each other, and go with the concept that we are all hunters, with the only differences being our own personal attitudes toward the sport, and the way we participate in it.

Or would you simply prefer to try and instruct me on why everything I have said is either stupid, misguided, or just plain wrong?

Ball is in your court, have fun!!!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I hereby make a motion on the floor to end this thread.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could live with that, but one thing I can say for Mr. Roof, and he can take this as a compliment or not.

I do respect the fact that he appears to be just as hardheaded and stubborn as I am, in standing behind what he feels is right.

I do not respect the name calling nor the trying to psyco-analise the reason for my post, nor the patronizing manner in which he did it, but I do respect people willing to have an opinion and that are willing to make that opinion known and stand behind it.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Well, that pretty well explains your perspective and actually validates to me what I've said. Since you don't know you're just digging your hole deeper, I'm leaving you and your shovel now.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My previous post was in fun, to try to lighten things up a bit....no harm meant....but I will point out one thing.

I've been on this site since late '99-early2000....I've lost my post count several times when new software was installed by our gracious host, to improve an all ready great site, making it even better for the members that use this site for free and with no annoying advertising......when someone refers to DRG "spanking our pee pee," I look back, not so long ago on this site, when there was no censorship, when almost everyone policed themselves and participated in civil discourse on hunting, as well as many other subjects, without all the crap just like what has gone on here......it's a small person that cannot be civil when a guest in another's home......I would be ashamed rather than incensed at being censored when it was my own fault......so now you've promised to behave; well, I think that says it all.

Many thanks to Saeed & DRG for what they provide.

erict,

I second your motion.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spanked our Pee Pee, is a term used sometimes referring to the fact that we were told to behave ourselves and not cause trouble. Since DRG does not seem to have had any trouble with what I said, then your comment means absolutely NOTHING to me.

What I said, was not meant, to be deragatory nor inflammatory toward DRg or anyone else. If you took it to be so, then you are as ignorant and bigoted as you interpret me to be.

When you don't know a person, and start making assumptions, you make an Ass out of yourself and them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
killpc

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ovis, just a question. I know nothing about the size of Homer or how close it is to Soldatna, so the odds of you knowing any of these people is probably nil, but does the names Dorothy Lewis, or Ray and Jackie Lewis mean anything to you? If so, pm me. If not forget about it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
In the end we, as hunters, must set standards. We must limit methods of take (spotlighting, 50BMGs, seasons, bag limits, Airplane scouting, harrassment, or whatever) to preserve and protect the resource and the acceptability of hunting. Where those boundaries lie will change over time and a healthy debate within the hunting community could help set the parameters of the experience.

What in the world is wrong with using a .50. If you want to lug that thing around it should be your right to use it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
... our hunting methods as long as they're legal (God, have I heard that phrase a few time before on this post). ...
Hey George, As long as the Hunting Method is LEGAL I'M FOR IT! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by publis:
What in the world is wrong with using a .50. If you want to lug that thing around it should be your right to use it.
Hey Publis, Absolutely nothing at all. Most are capable of excellent accuracy and have plenty of remaining energy at any distance a person cares to use them.

Some of them would be "difficult" to fire from Off-Hand though. Wink

Good LEGAL Hunting and clean LEGAL 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey George, As long as the Hunting Method is LEGAL I'M FOR IT! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Which is a good point.

Would I use the feeder method? No, but where I hunt it illegal, and not neccesary anyway. Do I understand why some situations require it? Yes. It still isn't my cup of tea, but I do not hunt in Texas. Nebraska has enough cover and food sources where setting up a feeder isn't needed.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote