Notify
Tools

Justice Served!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Deer Poacher Loses Hunting Privileges for Life

Poaching deer has cost a Pocatello man his hunting and fishing privileges for life, a month and a half in jail and more than $21,000 in fines.

In the fall of 2007, Russell D. Mee, 53, killed at least three deer in Arbon Valley and dumped two deer near his property when he suspected he was being investigated by Idaho Fish and Game.

Charges were filed by the Power County prosecuting attorney in American Falls. And on September 11, District Court Judge Peter McDermott sentenced Mee in connection with the illegal killing and wasting of deer.

“Our state wildlife forensic laboratory, headed by Dr. Karen Rudolph, was critical in this case, because it was able to show through DNA analysis that the only person who could have committed this crime was Russell Mee,†Idaho Fish and Game Conservation Officer Scott Wright said. “Mee was in no hurry to confess to anything, and without this evidence he would have probably gotten away with it.â€

McDermott told Mee in court that the facts in this case showed that he was a poacher, and his days in the mountains were over. He sentenced Mee to 10 years in state prison, suspended barring any violation of his probation.

During the 10 years probation, Mee may not accompany anyone engaged in hunting, fishing or trapping, and he may not have in his possession any wild animal or wild animal parts. Any violation of this probation will result in Mee being ordered to serve his 10-year prison sentence.

In addition, Mee was ordered to pay $21,450 in fines and restitution to the state, the majority of which will go to pay for the cost of the DNA testing. Mee’s hunting, fishing and trapping privileges were suspended for life, and he was sentenced to 45 days in the Power County jail.

“I think this sentence sends a message to would-be poachers; if you choose to steal animals from the people of the state of Idaho and are caught, it could have a significant negative impact on the rest of your life,†Wright said.

This case was possible only because a concerned citizen with information about the crime became involved and called Idaho Fish and Game. Citizens Against Poaching paid this confidential informant a cash reward.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good for everyone.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Glad to see that fines and jail terms are getting serious, its about time.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of that fine money should go to the people that caught/reported him.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We tell kids in school to read all the way to the end of the assignment.

Years ago I had an assignment that I would give in the first week of school. The first line was:

1. Read all instructions before beginning.

Then it went on through a list of instructions about getting paper, pencils, etc.

The last instruction was:

25. Don't do any of the above. Sign this paper and turn it in.

I was always amazed at how carefully everyone read after that.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will say also that we must be careful in our glee to see wrongdoers punished severely in these cases. I think much of severity in this case was due to the suspect's uncooperative attitude and that he had probably been doing this for a while. I can't imagine any state putting this much attention to a casual poaching case. In this instance and in a few others I have heard about severe consequences are warranted. The danger lies in that this judge will not always be there and the next one may be a hunter hating liberal intent on exterminating hunters. He/She now has precedent to prohibit "for life" the hunting activities of anyone they can justify having violated the law to such an extent.

I would venture a guess that this guy (the perp) is not too concerned with what the law states or judges say anyway and I look for him to be serving his time.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan R. McDaniel, Jr.:
I would venture a guess that this guy (the perp) is not too concerned with what the law states or judges say anyway and I look for him to be serving his time. Alan

I would not bet against you. I suspect you may be right.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all about perspective. Jack Kevorkian only served 8 years. I'm not saying I disagree with the sentence, I just always take these things with a grain of salt.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Years ago I had an assignment that I would give in the first week of school. The first line was:

Then it went on through a list of instructions about getting paper, pencils, etc.

i got something similar to that when i was in school, too - it's a good lesson to learn.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I'm like everyone else, I don't think this is the game thief's first rodeo.

Years ago a wildlife officer I worked with on some issues was talking about his worthless county judge.
He went on about a recent case the judge threw out the charges of "illegal methods", and from the bench told the defendant that it was ok, he could just bring him (the judge) a few packages of filets the next time he did well fishing.

They are NOT illegal hunters or fishermen, THEY ARE COMMON GAME THIEVES.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan R. McDaniel, Jr.:

Alan

Your point? He broke the law, was caught, and then he was punished. Not quite sure how your school assignment fits in. Confused

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last line of original post.

"This case was possible only because a concerned citizen with information about the crime became involved and called Idaho Fish and Game. Citizens Against Poaching paid this confidential informant a cash reward."

Then your first post in response.

"Some of that fine money should go to the people that caught/reported him."

Then my post about the school assignment and reading carefully.

No big deal.

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
American Justice! One thing I don't like is how I person gets hammered and they next person or persons get away with a slap on the hand. One example this guy in Idaho kills three deer and get 45 days in Jail and a $21.000 fine great. In the same year here in Alaska a small group on natives killed and let rot at least 120 Caribou. ( This is hard to believe but it's documented on video) The fish and Game know all of the people involved and not one person is in Jail or even issued a ticket? Why ?

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert johnson:
One thing I don't like is how I person gets hammered and they next person or persons get away with a slap on the hand.

Unfortunately Godess Justicia is not always as blind as she should be. This happens everywhere, I am sure however to a much lesser degree in the developed world.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert johnson:
American Justice! One thing I don't like is how I person gets hammered and they next person or persons get away with a slap on the hand. One example this guy in Idaho kills three deer and get 45 days in Jail and a $21.000 fine great. In the same year here in Alaska a small group on natives killed and let rot at least 120 Caribou. ( This is hard to believe but it's documented on video) The fish and Game know all of the people involved and not one person is in Jail or even issued a ticket? Why ?

Robert,

Here in the UK most poaching is down to the carcass value and poached deer get sold into restaurants/pubs etc thorugh the cback door. What is the incentive to kill 120 caribu and leave them to rot?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert,

You probably know the answer to your own question. It is a simple, yet very unpolitcally correct answer. Same type of thing happens all the time here in Wyoming, though not to the tune of 120 dead wasted animals.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote