Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hearing protection while hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted
Have considerable hearing loss in left ear but never used hearing protection while hunting until this year. Tried a pair of Walker Quad Game Ear muffs and would not be without them now.

Hearing sounds I never heard in the woods before. I can usually determine direction of a sound, but sometimes not sure if the duration of the sound is very short (such as a distant shot). They do pick up some wind noise but overall I find them a big improvement.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harmless.

I got caught in an explosion some years back. Following three days enjoying the experience of being totally deaf, I've now got 40% loss of high frequency response.

I will quite often use active muffs with the volume cranked up to try and give me parity with my hunting pals. Nothing worse than the question 'didja hear that!?!'

Not too good on windy days - the mics amplify the wind noise - also loose the benefits of true stereo and thus the ability to 'direction find'.

Having said that - they are worth it - if only for the joy of not seeing that look on your buddy's face when you say 'Eh?' for the tenth time!

Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my discipline we are trained to provide treatment in "normal" listening environments; being afield where we need to hear leaves rustle but want the gunshot volume to be cut down is anything but "normal." Too many requirements at very different ends of the spectrum.

But here goes: I'm not a proponent of wearing hearing aids of any kind in the field, whether they be Songbirds ( a generic cheapie ) or true $7,000 digitals. They just aren't designed for that. Even low-end custom hearing aids ( and Songbird isn't custom ) are going to run, at the very least, $500 each.

I personally would prefer electronic muffs for better sound attenuation; in addition to the circuit function the body of the muff cuts sound also. The muffs, however, aren't very handy when quickly shouldering a rifle or shotgun.

Again, there are currently no really good, reasonably priced solutions to the problem. (That may be changing in the not-to-distant future). The best thing one can do is to practice good protection when doing any kind of high-volume shooting.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob... Appreciate your time... Hopefully someone someday will take pity on the poor shooters...

Until then I guess I'll stick with my Tac 7's.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I had ringing in my ears for three months after firing one shot from a Marlin Guide Gun without hearing protection. I picked up a pair of inside the ear digital plugs (vs. the outside type like Walker's) that I finally had a chance to use on an Alaskan hunt a couple of weeks ago. They really helped me hear and we uneffected by wind or water. They also cut out the repetetive sounds like running water after a certain amount of time. They're very comfortable as well, you forget you're wearing them after a while.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear Peltor Tactical muffs. I can hear the deer coming long before an unassisted ear could, my ears stay nice and warm, and I'm saving my hearing. The leaves hitting the forest floor gets somewhat distracting, and the wind too at times. But I wouldn't hunt without them.

Fantastic for training; you can actually carry on a conversation.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got couple of the Walker's Game ears, they work well but are only comfortable for a while then I can't stand em in my ears for the rest of the day. I found that wearing a couple Songbird disposables is preferrable to the Walker's. They work well and are comfortable enough to wear full time. They worked great during this past turkey season and last fall during elk and deer season. Even though they're supposed to only last 90 days, I've found that as long as they're turned off when you're not hunting, they last far longer. They fit totally in the ear and you can actually forget you're wearing them.

http://www.songbirdhearing.com/

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
wrongtarget,

Regarding the Songbird... Does it shut off when loud sounds are encountered? I didn't find mention of that...

btw... I have owned the Tac 6 and Tac 7 muffs for several years now and heartily endorse them but there are new muffs coming on the market that are significantly cheaper and I bet they're just as good and it'd be nice to find some inexpensive "in ear" plugs that did the same thing....

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I forgot too! Yes they do, IIRC at 107Db. A 22Lr rimfire has a 134Db report. They will turn off with a loud clap of your hands near the head. The cost compared to other "in ear" units is way cheaper and so far, the $100 I paid for the pair is paying off. Hopefully they'll last a couple years before I need to replace them. Having stereo reception is real important to me while hunting and I didn't want to spend $1000-$2000 for regular hearing aids. I wish I had spent the money for songbirds instead of the Walker's.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a pair of the in-the-ear type amplifiers from Cabela's. They are made by Woodland Whisper.

http://www.woodlandwhisper.com/wwite.html

I haven't used them hunting yet, but they do amplify the sound and are supposed to attenuate the muzzle blast. They were only $40.00. I also like the Pro-Ears Dimension 2 as they have an input jack for the FRS radios we use deer hunting. If and when I buy muffs, that is what they will be.

Fast Ed

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, I suggest you call Cabelas and be sure that what you bought has the loud sound cut off feature if this is what you bought them for. They had a mistake in their catalog that I discovered when I started to order this product on line. I hope what you bought has the loud sound cutoff feature because I want some too. Please post after you call. Thanks, Bill.

Posts: 42 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Glad to read that you guys are taking your hearing seriously. I am in the hearing aid business and have many patients who did not wear protection while at the range. Although perhaps not the sole cause of loss for all of them, unprotected shooting is certainly a major contributing factor.

Keep it up!

Hey Bob... How 'bout some comments on the Songbird?

$bob$

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. I have only a slight high-freq. loss in my right ear... typical M-16 loss. I only use earplug ear protection hunting when I use my 7mm Mag with a BOSS from a stand, over beanfields. I could use the compesator like I do with the .270 and lose the recoil protection, but at such long range I can't hear game anyway so earplugs are no disadvantage. I've been toying with the Walker electronic earmuffs to save my ears all the time and enhance my hearing in the woods. To the guys who use them - Don't they get uncomfortable in a few hours? How can you wear a hat over them? Muh wider's peeks done met my bald spot so I can't hunt bare-headed. How long do the battery last?

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to read that you guys are taking your hearing seriously. I am in the hearing aid business and have many patients who did not wear protection while at the range. Although perhaps not the sole cause of loss for all of them, unprotected shooting is certainly a major contributing factor.

Keep it up!

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've started wearing sonic II's when I hunt. They get a little uncomfortable after a while but my hearing sure isn't getting any better. I took about 4 extra pairs with me the last time I went to Africa. My PH was very happy to get them.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SportEARS are available on Ebay for $300 per pair.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pete!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 30% loss in my right ear, and about 55% in my left. I use foam plugs went I hunt, just to damp the blast, and plugs with muffs at the range. I haven't tried the electronics while hunting, but I have used them at the range, a friend of mine has a set of walkers. As mentioned above, I don't like the wind noise when they are turned up. I have been looking into songird hearing aids, they have a set that becomes plugs at certain levels. There are several aids on the market now that work that way. This is an interesting thread, as I have been looking into this for about a year now. I have had my hearing loss since the age of nine, and it is getting worse as I get older, I am 46 now, and it's time to get something done.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have use Peltors for some years now. They worked fairly well. I now use a pair of Remingtons ear muffs they work even better. They dampen the sound instead of shuting off. So you do not lose your hearing during the shut off period. I normally try to wear them for all my hunting now. After forty plus years of shooting and planing on another bunch I enjoy any help I can get.

I also use them when I am instructing they real help on the range.

When I take my wife bear hunting this week we well both be wearing them. We then can both wisper really low and still not scare the game.

I highly recommend some type of electic hear protection now.

Posts: 19441 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
holzauge:
Quote:

Don't they get uncomfortable in a few hours? How can you wear a hat over them? How long do the battery last?

Since I hunt quite a lot in warm weather, I generally slip mine over my cap with band slightly to the rear and the cups just above my ears. When I begin a stalk or anticipate a possible shot, I slip them in place and turn them on. Wearing a hat over them might be a problem.

As far as battery life, I cannot answer that since I have only used mine three months and they are turned on relatively short periods of time. I did turn one the wrong direction the other day and left one side on overnight. Battery still doing fine, but I'm sure the right ear will run down first.

As Ray mentioned:
Quote:

5. Since the sounds closer to you are amplified first, you can hear the sounds you make when sneaking on game. This is a good thing.

You just think you are being quiet when trying to sneak up on something. Amazing how much noise you can make, even in soft sand.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Peltor Tactical 6S muffs for a few years now, and they work very well. I don't need sound enhancement, just to stop the noise when I fire my rifle, so I put them over my ears just before I fire my rifle while hunting. After a while it becomes a habit, so you won't forget to wear them when needed. However, if you get too excited when seeing game, the first thing you will do is to aim and fire your rifle and forget to wear the ear muffs. I no longer forget to wear them, but i did a time or two at the beginning. I wear mine over my cap, with the head band on the back of my head, and the microphones pointing up. I move them down to cover my ears only when I need to do so. I ride ATV's with the muffs positioned on my cap in such a fashion, and they never fall down, unless I hit a branch with my head (which is extremely rare). Have foam ear plugs with you for backup in the rain.

If you plan to buy ear muffs, be aware of the following:

1. In hot weather your ears will be drenched in sweat.
2. In cold weather your ears will be nice and conformable.
3. Electronic ear muffs are not rain proof.
4. The ambient sounds closer to you will be louder, so wind noise can be a problem. You will get used to that after a while, except when hunting in bear country. But those of us who hunt in bear country are fully aware that it's a little risky to hunt on very windy days, regardless of if we can hear well or not, since both the bear and you are being "hearing impaired." Very easy to step on each other that way.
5. Since the sounds closer to you are amplified first, you can hear the sounds you make when sneaking on game. This is a good thing.
6. The batteries in most electronic ear muffs are a pain to replace when hunting in cold weather.

Other than that, I would not hunt without my electronic ear muffs, since I use them to stop the blast from the muzzle brake on my .338WM. Because I don't have to worry about the blast, nowadays I only have to concentrate of target acquisition before I fire my rifle, and for the past few years my moose hunts have been one-shot kills. I did just that two days ago. In other words, not hearing the blast from my rifle has helped me become more accurate.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, can you add further info on your comment concerning possible changes in affordable hearing protection and hearing protection equipment in the not too distant fiture ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, the songbird looks interesting but I would prefer one that you don't throw away. Can you provide some info on ones that go into the ear , block loud noises ,provide some amplification ,and don't cost and arm and leg. I'll only be using them in hunting situations. I use muffs at the range. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to hear more about the Songbird, and others that shut out high db. The only people I have talked to so far, do not shoot, and for the most part, don't approve of shooting. and they can't understand why I won't do business with them.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote