New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help with Colorado area 61
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My partner and I curently have 13 elk Preference points. He is tired of waiting for area 2 and is thinking of going for area 61 which I understand holds some nice bulls and has pretty good success. Anyone hunted the area that can give us an honest opinion. Also I jeard that there is a forum that is dedicated to CO hunting anyone heard of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can always put first choice unit 2 then unit 61 2nd choice and up to now four choices. That way if not drawn for unit 2 you won'tlose your pts. there is a new unit down by Trinidad borders the NRA center suppose to have some big bulls you can call the pueblo office(719 561-5300) and find out what unit it is it's a draw unit only. Can also call the montrose office(970 641-6000) and get some information on unit 61. I've got a friend who hunts unit 62 and does pretty well. Good luck.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will never draw 61 on a second choice. It took 7-8 points last year. And area 851 near the New Mexico takes so many points a Nonresidnet never gets one of those 3 tags.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On unit 851 they have to give one tag out to non residents since 60% on the draws goes to residents and 40% to nonresident. Only problem I got with unit 61 is they have 1 separate bull and 3 cobination bull seasons so that to me would mean sucess would depend on weather were as unit 2 only has one bull season. Before I decide on unit 61 I would pull up the success ratio hunter to bull and see what that is first. I know they were trying for more limited units here like on the western slope so now that you have to draw for the last elk season won't be too long and will have them in every unit. With the dates this year being a week later than last year should help out. I think I got enought points for a moose and antelope this years but one never knows. Well good luck.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This will be my first time and I was looking at Area 61 or 62. Are there different herds on each side of the divide? 62 appears to have more Forestry land. Does it have more elk? Which one is easier to get around in?

I figured I would put in for a preference point first and a cow tag second. Any suggestions?

Davis Chase

Posts: 186 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually 40% is not gauranted to a non-resident. The reading is that tags are limited to 40%. If residents have more PP than nonresidents they get all the tags.

Get get back on the thread I am looking for info on 61 anyone hunted this area.

Picture of Johnnie Hamilton
posted Hide Post
I would not waste 13 points on unit 61. I would apply to the Bosque Del Oso Wildlife Area. You are also wrong about the 40%. 40% goes to out of state residents. There is two separate draws residents or put in one and non-residents are put in the other one. If you have any other questions email me at coltcindy@yahoo.com. I outfit in Colorado and New Mexico. I keep up with the units. What size bull are you looking for if it is in the 350s I would not go to 61.

Johnnie Hamilton
719-846-3559

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 24 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats interesting about the points issue. When I called DNR they said that the 40% was not guarenteed only if you had more or equal points than a resident. I guess I need to call them again before we make our choices. Not familar with Bosgue Del Oso. What unit is it located in?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your friend wants a chance at a big bull and is tired of waiting for area 2 (I've been trying for that tag for 12 years and I'm a resident) he could check into areas 49 and 50.

These are near Leadville and they kick out some big, big bulls in the early season. One word of warning though is that that country is some of the highest and roughest in the entire state of Colorado. In sept these elk will be above timberline at 12,000 ft plus. You have to be in extremely good shape and if you aren't used to altitudes like that, you would need about a week to aclimate. Big bulls, but you will definately earn them.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
61 is a good choice to use your points. If you can go muzz then that is best. Many bulls in the 360 to 380 class have been taken in unit 61 over the last 3 or 4 years. The Bosque in 851 from what I have heard from 3 people who have hunted it is not a very good place to burn so many points. I have a good friend who has bear hunted and turkey hunted there and reported seeing no elk and very little sign. The Bosque is a pinion/ scrub oak jungle and finding a vantage point or even a shooting lane is nearly impossible. For rifle I would say 61, 1st elk only season is best. If you muzz hunt then I would go with either 61, 49, 76 or 48. A 320 + bull is reasonable with some hard work in those units and many more larger ones come every year. If you are interested in 61 or 48 specifically shoot me an email at BighornBreath@yahoo.com. Good luck !

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way...... unit 62 on the east side of the Plateau is an elk factory but everyone and their sister knows about it and thus it is the heaviest hunted unit in the state. I have taken elk in 62. Fun hunt, easy terrain, lots of smaller bulls with an occasional monster but no where near worth burning all of your points on it. Unit 62 can be had as a 2nd choice application. Good luck again !

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote