THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Big Black bear killed today // Pics added

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Black bear killed today // Pics added
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As some of you know I have had a big bear coming into my bait.

Heres the rest of the story.

I wasn't going to bait this year just run one with the hounds. But the neigbors kept telling me of a big bear getting into the garbage and tearing down bird feeders that were apox 8 foot off the ground.

So I decided to put a bait out and see what happen knowing he was in the area. I know that he would come to the bait but when was the question. The big ones lots of times like to come after dark. He hit the bait the frist night it was out. I put some sand down and got a good look at the track I measured it and came up with close to 6 inchs across the front pad.

I put out a game cam that a buddy lent me but I it would not work. I was dumping about 3 gallons of bait a day not knowing when he was coming in. I also had 2 other bears coming in one about 200 one about 150.

I put up my tree stand a week ago 45 yards from the bait.

Today is the first day of Wis bear season. In Wis. bait sitters go a week earlier then the hound hunters this year next year hounds go first. I really did not want to shoot it over the bait but would rather run it with the hounds.

But every body I talked with even my hound hunting buddys say if you get a chance at him kill him you don't get many chances at real big bears.

So I decided I better go sit over the bait and sees what is coming in and when. So I get done with work at 3pm run around trying to get all my hunting gear ready and mix bear bait. So my about 3:50 I finnely load up the trk and head out. I get to my hunting spot and see the big bears tracks. So I dump the bait rake the sand take some camo netting and place it around my stand. drive the trk a couple of hundred yards away and walk back to the stand and climb up. It is now just after 4pm.

It is hot about 80 degrees I sweating like crazy wondering why Iam hunting when it is so dam hot sweat running down my face ect. There is a slight brezze in my face helping some what about 6pm the sun starts behind the trees. things start cooling off and I starting to feel better. About 7pm things are nice and cool. I know I need to start paying attention.

I start glassing the woods beyond the bait at about 25 after I notice a bear just behind the bait facing head one. I said that looks nice He steps into the bait area and I said that looks big. He turns sideways and I saw he looks big. I watch him for 5 mins thinking should I shoot I do not want to shoot the wrong bear I watch him put the cross hairs on him a few times. Look at him with the glasses look at my watch knowing shooting hrs were about 10 min off.

I really want to run him with the hounds knowing if I shot the wrong bear. My freinds would give me a ration of crap. I looked and looked and tried very hard to decide. I looked at my watch and said now or never. I put the rifle up one more time and the bear must of heard my seat creak abit he look right towards me. Then went back to eating I decide dam he looked big might not get another chance do I dropped the hammer on him. One never saw a bear hit the ground so fast. But I put another one into him because I didn't want him to run as were he was at I could drive the tractor with a front end loader right up to it.

Recoil what recoil One would think that a 350 gr speer mag tip out of my 416 taylor at 2450fps would recoil I guess it did. Didn't feel it. I am sure I broke both front shoulders with the frist shot and may be spined him also. I really did not need the 2nd shot but hell ammos cheap and it is a lot easier to load him with the tractor instead of trying to drag him out.

I guess you are all wanting to know what he weighed out at 490lbs He is dressed and hanging in the cooler now. I'll get some bullet damage pic's tomorrow and some over all measurements

I well try and get pictures posted tomorrow also of the bear.

To say I was excited is a under statement. I seen a lot of bears shot and a lot get smaller the closer you get this is one of the few that just kepted getting bigger.

Now to try and get some sleep I am still pumped up.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your bear and story.

I guess that your hunt was a textbook bait hunt in which you killed the bear you were looking for - after doing your homework, of course.

Shoulder shots are the way to go on bears. I've killed them with shoulder shots and lung shots and shoulder shots are MUCH better. Usually they cannot run with the shoulder and spine damaged, and a shoulder shot eliminates the need for tracking and recovery through the thick stuff.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great bear. Can't wait to see the pictures. I'm off to Canada in 2 weeks for bear and moose.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Very nice job on getting that big bear I can't wait to see the pictures!
Glad to hear you decided to take him your freinds were right sometimes big bears don't hang around until it is conveniant for you, 490 is a lot of bear I assume that is live weight?
I would like to hear the report on bullet performance when you get to post the pictures.
Congratulations!!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
PDS,

Good job. With the way the points system is, that may be the bear of a lifetime.

Find some meat tenderizer with papain in it. Marinate some 1 inch steaks for about 3 hours before you cook them on your charcoal grill. Serve with your favorite beverage.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
490 is the weight at the registration station.

pdhntr1 your right about the point system it was 6 years ago for my last bear lic. At 50 yoa of age I most likely only have 3 or 4 Wis bears left to kill this is by far the biggest I have seen when hunting them for the past 35 years..

This is a old computer I'll be taking my memory chip over to freinds house is after noon and see about getting the pictures up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter, Congratulations! That is a hell of a big bear. I was up near Spooner a couple weeks ago and a small one ran right at my brother and I as we were sighting in a rifle preparatory to an Western hunt. It was a bit startling to have this bear come running out of the woods into our clearing, 10-15 yds away! Fortunately he ran back the way he came. We decided later that it must have been shagged out by some dogs.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Nicely done p dog!

Great story--very informative and lots to learn!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Here are the pictures:

Nice bear!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Nice bear, and nice choice of cartridge. Wink

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bear was 6 feet from the nose to the base of the tail.

The frist one shot traveled threw both shoulders left to right down wards angle ended up in the right legs elbow. The bullet weighed 227 grs after taking out the left shoulder spine right shoulder and traveling down the leg. Some where around 35 inchs of skin bone ect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to that exciting hunt!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats , Awesome bear, Good report as well

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Congratulations are in order, I leave for Maine on Sunday for my bear hunt. I can only hope to see one like that. cheers

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine bear. beer Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm bear hunting in Minn. this year and hoping for a Wisconsin permit next year.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice bear!

~Ann

Posts: 19245 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Very Nice !!!!

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
P dog shooter Congratulations on a great job well done! What a truly beautiful bear, and big is an understatement... must have looked enormous! There's always next year for the hounds. Lovely bear, what more can I say.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Very nice bear, and a very good caliber!

Congratulations! thumb thumb beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter - Your story says a lot for your patience.

I see that you had a hard time figuring out if this was the big one or not. While you said that you were close, you didn't say what view you had. I have no desire to shoot a bear (but deer beware!), but one of the best indicators of a big black bear is to look at the ears compared to the head. They "grow into" their ears. If the ears look big, it's a smaller bear. If the ears look small, it's a bigger bear. If the ears look tiny, it's a really big one.

Another problem with black bears is that their black fur makes them look bigger than they are.
Most hunters see far less bears than deer, so they aren't used to sizing them up or comparing them to their surroundings.

Here in NY, the deer and bear seasons overlap. I know that a lot of yearlings and even cubs are shot every year because the hunter gets caught up in the moment and doesn't have the patience you displayed in sizing up the quarry. Your story shows the payoff for waiting - congrats.

PS - take plenty of pics while you have the chance, sort out the good ones later.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A great trophy. Congratulations

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
awesome bruin--congrats----chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
erict I was 45 yards from the bait I had a good veiw of the bear and bait. There were at least 3 bears coming into the bait. A small one, one about 250 and this big one.

I seen way too many little bears shot only to have the shooter say I though he was a lot bigger then he was.

I was dermined to shoot the right bear.

I was only a 100% sure he was really big when I got about 10 yards from him I said OH shit that a big bear.

308Sako one only draws a Wis bear permit about every 4 to 6 years and seems to be getting longer as more and more people try .

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
P dog, I am happy then that you have taken this beauty for your memories and the experience. 6 years is too long to wait for a tag.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote