Find
Notify
Tools

Opines.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Hope this doesn't make the original poster mad or offended.

It was originally posted in another discussion area on the dsite, but really has not drawn the attention that is probably should.

quote:
The Michigan DNR want's to ban deer baiting and non synthetic deer urine based lure and scents. To me they should never started to bait,you are making the deer more nocturnal. As far as the scent, you just got to play the wind

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baiting has made many hunters lazy and very protective of the areas they bait.

A lot walk form their vehicle to their stand that's all they do.

We allow baiting in some parts of Wis. they could outlaw it for all I care.

Goes along nicely with this thread.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...3411043/m/2011046342

Posts: 19444 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with his comment 100% and I also live in MI so I see exactly what he stated!

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Agreed on ungulates and birds

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In states with Public Land, I can see the issue.

But can their be one law that covers everyone, Nationwide?

When I started hunting deer here in Texas in the late 60's/early 70's, baiting and hunting from enclosed blinds had not became SOP.

But that changed for multiple reasons here in Texas. From 1970 until 1996 or so, all of the deer I killed were taken by Spot and Stalk.

But in the late 1980's, when things changed and deer hunting became a COMPETITIVE sport, many folks began viewing Deer Hunting as a "Competitive Sport", where the size of a Rack and the amount of $$$$ spent to procure that rack, became the driving force.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas is so different from the rest of the country in the way you almost have to bait to get deer out of the heavy cover, especially in the south brush country, so I have no problem with it in your state CHC, especially since it's 99% private land.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I have gotten older and have began having mobility issues and with the fact that my wife cannot phyisically do Spot and Stalk hunting, I have learned to accept what options I have left to me.

I cannot help however feeling bad that so much emphasis is being placed on "B&C Points" that so many hunters have missed out on just going out and being happy with any legal buck.

Course that really is hypocritical as hell since I work for someone that offers hunts for "Quality" bucks.

I will always be a throw back, because I view Whitetails the exact same way I view Elk, all are trophies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the money Randall:

I started tagging along behind Dad when I was 10 then got my first tag and rifle and started hunting elk from 15y/o until 2011 almost every year. And NEVER once getting a shot at a 6pt bull. I have seen maybe 6 in all those years. Too far, or too sudden to get a shot worth taking.

Hearing this bs about such things as long range shooting, and pass 'em up unless they're 7pts or better. Smokes my ass.

Yes, I have killed 13 elk. Half in the hay stack yards in winter, one with my .22 Aug. '60. A couple poached with a rancher. Damned few legal tags filled to be honest.

Sure have put the miles on walking the hills and woods though. Much of it high country from a ranch house at 10,500' and up from there.

I've ate tag soup so much I kinda like the flavor by now! Beats hell out of going hungry.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But in the late 1980's, when things changed and deer hunting became a COMPETITIVE sport, many folks began viewing Deer Hunting as a "Competitive Sport", where the size of a Rack and the amount of $$$$ spent and the amount of $$$$ spent to procure that rack, became the driving force.

The dollar amount if far more the reason then the deer.

Every body thinks they have/well to shoot a record buck to become rich and famous.

My group eat a lot of deer we hunt hard and have a lot of fun.

A couple of years ago we were having a hard time putting meat in the freezer.

I shot a spike on a drive we were very happy as we would be eating venison.

I took a package of tender loin out of the freezer last night I am having it and eggs this morning for breakfast.

Yum Yum

Posts: 19444 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Other folks can have the horns, I want the meat. No added hormone or chemicals.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Other folks can have the horns, I want the meat. No added hormone or chemicals.

Dave

tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take both the meat and the antlers BUT I've long said that if the buck isn't that rare 1% type mountable trophy, they're all just meat bucks anyway...and we love the meat.

I have no opinion of baiting since we don't have that to any extent where I hunt.

Zeke