Find
Notify
Tools

NC Trophy Black Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
This big guy lived on an island in the middle of a large swamp on one of our farms near Hobgood. Due to all of the water, there was no way we could put hounds on this big boar. Bears this size do not tree and he has the advantage in water and will drown the dogs.

The only way we were going to get this old guy was to still hunt him and that we did. A fellow AR Member arrived last Sunday. He is an accomplished hunter and he agreed not to risk spooking him even though this bear had visited the peanuts the morning before he arrived to camp. We made the right call and only hunted him in the afternoons. This past Thursday, our fellow AR Member, made a perfect shot with his 416 and killed this giant. We had to pull him to the flat bed scales and then go back and weigh the truck and trailer.
This is what a happy Outfitter Looks Like!

My guide Robert and I pose for a quick photo before the taxidermist gets to work.

Still waiting to hear back from Taxidermist but we think his skull will make Boone and Crocket. I Love it when a plan comes together.
We feed these bears lots of peanuts. They want to lay on the peanut piles and rake them into their mouths. I had spent about $2,800 in peanuts on this bear site since last Spring.

Raking in the peanuts.

Hunting was really tough for a few days and I was worried that we were not going to get him. We had no other big bears on baits at decent hours and the guys hound hunting were only finding small bears. I had another client that was suppose to arrive on Wednesday but I told him not to come because he only had two full days to hunt. I was not feeling confident. I feel like I made the right call but the bears really started moving on Friday.

This was a picture from Saturday afternoon.

My brother out hunted my on Friday and doubled up on two over 450. (I deleted the picture of the double because one of the hunters was sitting on the bear. Did not want to offend anyone.)

There are still a good number of big bears around. I think there was a total of 800 bears killed in NC last week. We have another two week season in December.

Clark Purvis
252-826-4288

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark: Well done! For those whom have not met or hunted with Clark I will personally vouch for him and his outfitting business.
Should anyone wish a reference please send me a message.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. That last one's a real
monster.

Thanks for sharing with us. Good luck on the hunts.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Some great bears there, the last one looks like I will after Thanksgiving dinner tonight.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You told us what you had to do to weigh him. Are you going to tell us what he weighed?

It reminds me of a funny story about my grandfather. When he was about 8 or 10, he had to take one of his aunts, who was a very large woman, into town. He was curious how much she weighed. He got the horse and wagon ready, then drove her to town but said he needed to stop at the grain elevator on the way. He parked the wagon with his aunt on the scales and went inside to check the weight. Then he took her wherever she needed to go and went back to weigh the wagon without her.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Capt. I’m headed to NC for Smokey on the 10th. Hope to get one close to that!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
We had extremely good hunting last week. Everyone got their bears. Very proud of my son. His was probably the most intense hunt of the week. On our hands and knees crawling through the holes in the thick bush. Bear would not tree and wanted to fight. My son kept calm and made a great shot. Not a giant but great memories. He had me and three of his uncles there with him to experience the hunt. Bear weighed 245.

Captain Clark Purvis

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That NC style of crawling through thickets after bears is.....welll......not really "normal"!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
That NC style of crawling through thickets after bears is.....welll......not really "normal"!

It is in other places also we do it a lot in Northern Wis also

Posts: 19615 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Our guide Alex has had to lay down and let the bear run over him while he was in a tight tunnel. He says that they will not pay much attention if you lay down because they are worried about the hounds.

I have never, nor do I plan to get into this situation. This has happened several times in Hyde County. Once you experience this thick bush you will understand. Ideally you do not want to have to go after the bear in the thick stuff.

Captain Clark Purvis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Worried most of the times about the hounds for sure but I known hunters that have gotten bite.

Posts: 19615 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
out of curiosity, are the peanuts shelled or in shell?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
People used both. Unshelled are better. I use mostly shelled because they are less expensive.

Captain Clark Purvis