New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Sambar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm wondering if anyone puts in for or has hunted sambar on Saint Vincent Island Wildlife Refuge? Any info would be appreciated.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put in for it a couple of times when I was stationed in FL. I never drew the permit but I did know a guy that drew it once. He told me it was the hottest, wettest, most humid and snake infested hunt he ever went on and he never saw anything but tracks. When I was researching it I kind of got the perception that it is a very, very low percentage hunt. They only take a handful of Sambar a year off the island and those are almost all taken by local hunters that can go on the island a lot to scout.

Once I left FL I quit applying because the hassle of hunting the island was just too much if you don't live down there. First off, you can't even get to the island without a boat and the boat has to be big enough for moderate ocean travel since the island is in the Gulf of Mexico. Then all your gear including water and ice needs to be brought with you since there are no services at all on the island. That's a lot of logistics if you're coming from Canada for a hunt with virtually no chance of success.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote