THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Almost time to plant food plots - suggestions?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost time to plant food plots - suggestions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
For us here in Texas, or other areas in the South, we are coming on the time to plant our food plots. I am in north Texas in the Panhandle area where we have Mulies and Whitetail. This area has the potential to grow some really nice deer. I have 5 deer in my office that score from 145-160 that came out of this county.

I have seen many different grain sorghums planted in the same area and some of the stuff is just a deer magnet while others seem to have no deer activity at all.

Hi-Gear, Red Top Cane, White grained Milo and Brown mid-rib Sorghum seem to be the most popular for deer.

This is my first year to plant these food plots. I have the assistance of a farmer who has forgotten more about farming than I will ever know, so I do not need assistance here.

I have plowed the plots and will fertilize soon and plant about 15 April.

I will be planting some Lablab this year and some other grain sorghum. My question is...

I would like to draw from some practical experience...which grain sorghum do you recommend for attracting deer? The Lablab will cover their protein needs, but I want something to keep them around after the Lablab is dead and gone.

Any help is appreciated.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Check with your state deer biologist, and also have your local librarian run a search on deer diets.

I understand that Ladino(sp) Clover is a deer magnet, and is like icecream to them. Check with the local Farm Bureau Co-op for the clover seed, but be ready, this particular stuff is expensive and requires some soil preparation....

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paladin,

Yes, that stuff is expensive. I am not interested in the clover now, I think I have that part covered.

I want someone with practical experience with different grain sorghums to speak up.

I have hunted an area around here where you couldn't get the Mulies to leave this one particular field. The rancher had planted a few different varieties of sorghum for silage and couldn't remember which one this was. It was very tall and had a dark red head with a lot of seeds. I think it was brown midrib sorghum.

I chased this same mulie with a few different clients until he got tired of us launching arrows and bullets at him and left for good.

I have never seen such poor marksmanship in my life. Shame too cause he was fat and old and I suspect he was on his way down hill when we found him. I thought he was a cow the first time I saw him.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

[This message has been edited by Buffalobwana (edited 03-31-2002).]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote