Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Elk Hunting Sleeping Bag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
The situation the equipment is used in makes a huge difference!

Sleeping in a tent is sleeping in a tent, UNTIL you define if there's a heater/stove, pads, air mattresses, ect.

If you want the best bag check out what mountain climbing types are buying. They don't carry extra stuff just for fun, they carry what works.

I still think anyone wanting a good bag should check into the Wiggy's, MSR stuff, and North Face. Wiggy's uses Lamilite (sp?) and it's supposed to be pound for pound one of best isulators.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arts, sort of like the ol' saying

You can lead a horse to water but ya can't make him drink

Some folks will just never learn or listen

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
This is a Sako vs. Savage Debate. Both work equally well, one just looks better.

I have been on several Rocky Mountain Hunts and I Camped in tents while doing so. The Cheap ones kept me nice and Comfy every time and I will have them for years and years.

Buy what you like but, don't tell me mine won't work.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Warning #1 on that: Hollofil WON'T keep you warm when wet--Quallofil will, but not Hollofil. Big difference! Bargain prices rarely are bargains. It's old, but that statement "you get what you pay for" is pretty sound logic.

Other things a guy might consider on the staying warm deal--if it is extra cold, consider sleeping in your bag wearing your longhandles--not real comfortable, true, but sure helps if it's too cold out. Take those extra coats, vests, sweaters you have and cover up with them--good insulation. Don't forget the bottom side. A good pad doesn't just make the ground soft, it is very important from an insulation standpoint. Wear a stocing cap while sleeping if it's real cold. Also, don't use a cot. That will only help chill you, as the cold air circulates right under you. Cots are handy for setting stuff on, keeping things off the ground, but that's all they're good for--unless you WANT to be cold.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lad, I didn't tell you yours won't work. I did tell you that Hollofil won't insulate when wet. That is fact, not my opinion.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I will have to say your facts are crap, LAD.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Did alittle research on Holofill. Yep, stays warm when wet and it has been around alot longer than Quallofill.

Holofill has been used in Military and Camping Sleeping bags for years.

If you are going to state it as fact do alittle research before hand. Don't mislead people just so you will look good.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not misleading anyone. Yes, indeed, Hollofil has been around a lot longer than Quallofil. Hollofil's insulation factor drops way off when wet, fact. You don't like the fact, fine, but you'll be the cold one, not I, if your Hollofil gets wet. I couldn't care less what you want or what you buy. Why would I? I do note that a part of your objective is to pick a squabble, i.e. claiming I said your stuff was no good or telling you what to get. Get what you want, why would I care? I don't. But don't get the idea that Hollofil doesn't loose a bunch of its insulating ability when wet, because it does, much more so than the case with Quallofil. There is little comparison between the insulating capacity of the two when wet. Each to his own, lad.