New
Find
Notify
Tools

hunting in Florida
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys, I'm from the UK and go to florida (Orlando) every year for a holiday with some shooting buddies from my gun club. we go in January and have done the shot show, gun&knife shows bass pro and shot full auto stuff at the local ranges, but what hunting is there? are the seaons open or closed in January?

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
There is great wild hog hunting year round in Florida. Used to live there and still head down there a couple of times a year to hunt hogs. There are numerous outfitters that you can contact. I would recommend doing a search on the hog hunting forum below. That is if you are interested in hunting pigs........

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also hunt alligator. There are a bunch of Professional Alligator Trappers that are allowed to take problem alligators year round. They will allow you to accompnay them. An assistant permit only costs about $45. I did this a couple years ago in FT Meyers and had a very good time. We took 3 alligators that day, the biggest was right at 9 ft long. We took them 2 of them alive on handlines and shot 1 with a crossbow.There is a guy in Naples amed Dave Regal that sets this type of trip up.

You may be able to get into some deer hunting too. I have a license for the 2nd week of Jan up near Pensacola. Dodn't know if the season is still open that far south though. You would have to check the regulations.

There are a couple places you can hunt exoctic game year round. Probably the biggest utfit is the Brady ranch and it is pretty close to Orlando. There is another one by Indiantown as well. I've never hunted with either, but I know they have Axis Deer and Water Buffalo. You would have to research them on your own and see if it is something you are interested in.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
MAC is correct........those two places are probably the most popular exotic hunting operations in Florida. Just in case you are interested.......here are their websites:

Brady Ranch

J & R Outfitters

The Brady Ranch (2,000 acres) has the largest privately owned herd of Axis deer in the United States. J & R Outfitters (4,000 acres) specializes in Water Buffalo hunts. The owner is also a PH for Cape Buffalo in Tanzania, so you're hunting with a guy that knows what he's doing. Hope this helps.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Central Florida the General Gun Season goes until January, 18th, go to the website of Florida Conservation, you find more details on seasons and can apply for special permits on Wildlife Management Areas all over the state. There, it's pigs and whitetailed deer. If you like predators, you can also hunt bobcat, racoon and river otter.

What I enjoyed a lot was snipe hunting in the swamps, it's like partridge shooting, you kick them up by walking around in the wet areas which can be found everywhere. especially good are burnt but wet sugar cane fields.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help guys, whats the duck shooting like in Orlando?

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be aware you need a .500 sidearm for protection from skeeters! dancing Squatters hollow out roach bodies for homes! Big Grin

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter is correct! If you will be doing any stand hunting, invest in a ThermaCell -- you can buy one at any Walmart in Florida and it will keep the 'skeeters off of you!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote