New
Find
Notify
Tools

maine moose hunters
 Login/Join

<halfbreed>
posted
hello all, i am planning a moose hunt in maine, however my question is, what is considered a long shot? and how much gun is enough, hopefully this will be in houlton - presque aisle erea this year. thanks for your replies. halfbreed

------------------
overkill? how much more dead, is dead, than dead?

<10point>
posted
Halfbreed I hunted Moose in NewFoundland Canada and spent a few days just driveing the lovely state of Maine. From what I saw you have quite a bit of heavy woods with clear cuts and bog's that may need a 150 to 200 yrd poke.

If I had a 3006 I wouldnt feel the need to go out and buy a moose gun. I probably wouldnt with a 30-30 either, or a .270, or a 308, or a modern muzzleloader for that matter. I personaly wouldnt hunt moose with anything smaller, no matter how stupid guy's say they are.

Maines a fabulous state, I envy you.........good shooting....10

one of us
posted Hide Post
halfbreed,

Can you let me on your secret to getting one of those moose permits. I've been applying for 9 years now and still haven't drawn. Maybe with my 4 bonus points this year, my name will come up. As for how much gun is needed, the people I know in Maine seem to like the 30-06. I myself wouldn't feel undergunned with a 308, 270 or 280. If I ever do draw a permit, my choice of rifle will be my yet to be completed Mark X 375-338.

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CraigP:
halfbreed,

Can you let me on your secret to getting one of those moose permits. I've been applying for 9 years now and still haven't drawn. Maybe with my 4 bonus points this year, my name will come up.

That's exactly it, luck of the draw. Residents have a much better chance and some of them have still gone a dozen years or more. I'll apply this year but am not holding my breath.

As for range -- I hunted deer there this fall and would say a .30-06 is adequate in terms of trajectory. Moose could be almost anywhere, from in your face to way across a clearcut or down a logging road. We actually jumped three of them at the top of a steep ridge, but couldn't see them in the heavy undergrowth.

If you have more questions about hunting in the northernmost part of Maine you could check with Sean Lizotte at Allagash Guide Service -- www.allagashguideservice.com -- I didn't hunt with them but he's a friend of the buddy I did hunt with.

Sean and his wife are good people. They have a nice lodge with great-smelling food and lots of happy-looking hunters. He puts folks into a decent number of good deer, too, considering how hard the hunting conditions are up there. And, he went the extra mile -- in reality, a good bit more than that! -- to help my buddy find me when I ran out of daylight before getting back to the road my first night. (I now have a GPS and carry more and better tinder. :-))

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
halfbreed,

Moose are pretty tough, but your deer rifle will likely do the trick. Ive been on moose hunts twice with my brother in New Hampshire. Both moose were taken with a 30-06 with 180 grain remington round nose bullets. Both animals took several shots to down (the first three, and the second five!), but neither went anywhere after the first hit. Both were shot in the ribs behind the front leg. If you want to drop him on the first shot, hit him in the shoulder.

Ranges will likely be close, usually under 100 yards, but don't count out longer shots. You'll find your moose back in the thick brush, in the clear cuts. You will notice many hunters driving the logging roads looking for moose, but you will see more if you get out and walk back into the brush. If you do some serious scouting before season, you should be able to have your moose by the second or third day. Our hunts were both over in the first day.

I see dozens of moose every year while deer hunting, you just can't predict how they will react to you. Some will just stand and stare, others will run off. Some have even followed me. One day last season I saw 12, including several good bulls.

Good luck, I hope you bag your bull. Maine's success has been averaging arround 85% in recent years. Dave P.

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted Hide Post

halfbreed, anything over 100 yards would be considered a long shot in the Maine woods. It is certainly possible to be faced with a long shot across a clearcut, bog, or waterway. FWIW, when I got a permit a while back I hunted with my 270 Winchester with 150 grain Hornadys. My dad, the subpermit holder, took the only shot we were presented on the next to the last day, in the woods, on the run, at close range. Dropped the spike bull in its tracks with one shot behind the shoulder with his 30-30 Winchester.

My sister dropped a large bull from close range with one shot from her 308 Winchester this past year.

As with any game animal, shot placement is critical.

Posts: 179 | Location: Maine | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
thanks guys, as far as a secret for permits, i don't know, just keep tryin. for the others thank you for the responses. i've never been up that far north. usa anyway, i only have 7.62x39 for deer. but it works great for out to 250 yds +/-. looking for a 9.3x62, if it can shoot cast. i posted questions in cast bullets, so far no reply.if this won't work then i will go 375 cal. may never get to ak, but it is a plan anyway. thanks again, halfbreed

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
halfbreed

I am going to use my 460 weatherby whit 500 grains hornady round nose bullets at 2650 f/s

I think the moose will be dead and very dead if i hit him in the shoulder bone in 50 yards.

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
overkill, i think we must be related somewhere down the road. i too would like to use either a 416 or 458. just, allways wanted a big bore. i don't have one yet, but will remedy that someday. i just would like to shoot one before the purchase.thanks halfbreed

------------------

<10point>
posted
Moose are pretty big. I too would use the rifle , with the biggest hole at the end, I had as well. My moose, a big young male, took a 225 grn A-frame from a .338, from about 150 yrds, thru and thru both lungs and didnt even blink.

He did start running tho, straight towards a chest high creek. And we'd probably be cutting him out of it still if I didnt break his back before he made it there.............10

one of us
posted Hide Post

Half breed, contact the buck expert guys, they have hunted Maine as you will see in their gallery. they should be able to answer your questions

http://www.buckexpert.com/Pages/welcome.htm

-Rockhead

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
thanks to all that answered my post. sorry about not answering back sooner, have been fighting it out with computer co. any way i'm baack. thanks for the help guys.halfbreed

------------------

<Don Martin29>
posted
Having hunted in Houlton, ME and over most of the state let me make these comments. The forest in Maine is very rough. Many of the roads are higher than the surrounding land and there are many swamps and bogs. The most difficult feature of much of Northern Maine is the slashings and blowdowns.

You face two major challanges. First is getting the carcass out and second not getting lost in the woods there. In much of the country you just walk downhill and you come out on a road at least. In Maine it can be the opposite.

Now it's possible that the Moose will die by the back of your pickup truck and all that you will have to do is winch it up into the back but it's not likely.

But topographic maps, a compass and maybe a GPS are necessary and will enhance the planning and the fun of the anticpation.

This is a heavy duty "contruction" project unless you hire someone to handle the dead mooose. Plan this out including who is going to butcher it.

If you go early in the fall there could be Black Flies.

The traditional Maine hunting method is to ride the roads. Out of state hunters go into the woods.

It's time to get a bigger gun and practice with it. Any cartridge similar to the 30-06 will be fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
halfbreed,

Just wondering, you are planning on hunting Maine this year, but the lottery (or application deadline-whichever) won't be until May... you must be planning on buying one of the tags that are auctioned off each year, no?

DP

[This message has been edited by dogtagger (edited 03-03-2002).]

<halfbreed>
posted
donmartin29, thanks for the info, i was hoping to use an atv,most states allow one for disabled hunters w/ prosthetics.i can walk fairly good just can't lift over 50#+, figured to use a hoist on the machine. damn spinal fusions. i am quite good in the woods,allways carry maps and 2 compasses,will be getting a gps unit very soon. and allways carry enough supplies to make a good spike camp for a couple of days.still will be needing a new rifle, had to sell off a few items, i really did not want to get rid of. i may well be getting myself in over my head, but i've never failed to come back out on my own. except once. won't get into that one.thanks dogtagger, i am afraid i overshot my mouth on that one. somehow i understood (wrong) that it was much easier than what it really is in getting tags. i have a few cousins from maine, they never led on there was any problem for out of staters getting tags. maybe i heard, what i wanted to hear on this one.after nearly four years of recovery i am trying to prove to (myself only) that i can still get out there and take on the world. believe me i have had a few come-uppances. although i still want a big bore (416 taylor) i do believe i can handle this now. i know i don't need this caliber i just want one. sorry for any mis-understandings on this. i really should have checked it out on my own, before posting anything. thanks halfbreed

------------------

<Don Martin29>
posted
halfbreed,

Keep puting in for those permits and then you will look forward to it. I put in for one, as a non-resident, and never got one. Don't give up.

Apply for a disabled permit to hunt from the vehicle! I was riding on a logging road up there near Patton and a bull moose crossed the road well ahead of the car. This road was quite wide and visiblity was good. So I turned around and drove back really slow looking into the woods for the moose. It charged my car! It came right out of the woods right after me! I spun the wheels and took off down the road and could not see the moose any longer because of the dust. There is more to this story and if I meet you up there we can talk about it.

The woods in Northern Maine are almost impossible to walk in. There is a tangle of blow downs and slashings from logging everywhere! But then there are the roads! The northeast is full of nice woods and logging roads that can be walked or driven depending upon their age and maintenace.

I cannot pick up a 200# buck myself. You will need help on this trip. There is no way I would shoot a moose in Maine alone unless I was going to eat the whole thing right there!

The Rockies are not wild! Northern Maine = wild!

one of us
posted Hide Post
halfbreed,

The only sure way of not getting a permit is to not apply. You never know what can happen. Yeah I've been putting in for 9 years without success but that doesn't mean a non-resident can't draw on their first attempt. I'm sure a few of the non-resident tags go to people applying for the first time. Anyway good luck. Hope to see ya up there this moose season.

Craig

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Don't despair not getting the moose permit. Keep trying. The state allows an applicant to submit 6 applications (I think-I haven't applied in years). Maine also has a system where applicants get points each year you are not drawn. Don't forget that a few tags are auctioned each year. Very pricey though.

The North Maine Woods (NMW)-where most moose hunting takes place is indeed thick, as is most of Maine. I still would rather (personally) take a moose on foot (should I ever choose to take one at all). If you ever see the circus there during moose season you will understand, groups of 2-3 trucks parading around, hoping a moose will walk out in front of them. By the way ATVs are not allowed in the NMW. There are other areas that do allow ATVs. On one of the moose hunts I made with my brother, we packed a large bull a mile off a mountain. That�s a lot of work, and we had four helpers! Good luck.

DP.