New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clearing Firearm through Houston
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If plans work out I am travelling to the USA, landing in Houston, in January 2018.
It's very likely I will have a hunting rifle.
Is there any aspect of Customs and Quarantine procedures I should be aware of ?
I will have obtained the necessary permit beforehand to allow my rifle entry to the USA.
Thankyou.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's brought guns in from NZ.
IF you don't have his contact info already send me an e'mail and I'll fwd it to him.

Good luck and great to have you as a vistor.

George

gldwight1@yahoo.com

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your importation will be Federal rather than State of Texas, but it's worth noting that Texas is about as laid back as it gets about firearms. Of course, air ports are air ports and going through customs anywhere is what it is. Also, unless you're shooting special handloads, you might want to buy your ammo here. You can buy ammo over the counter here; you don't need to show a license, permit or anything like that.

In what state will you be hunting?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou for the replies gents. Appreciated.
I have brought a rifle into the USA before, through San Francisco, which proved to be much less daunting than anticipated. I just wanted to know if there were any particular peculiarities entering through Houston but from your replies it should be pretty straightforward. I will have the correct paperwork in hand.

Analog,
I am hunting in your state - Texas, and very much looking forward to it. After a few days at the DSC Convention I will spend another few days hunting before heading home. Usually I travel with my own handloaded ammo.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be at the convention for most days and most evenings. Ping me around convention time, if you feel like it and maybe we can grab a beer. If anything happens to your rifles or ammo in transit, I can either help you get resupplied (I live close to a Cabelas) or lend you something.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Analogue,
Thankyou. I'll look forward to saying Hi at DSC if we can meet. Excuse me if I opt for coffee rather than beer but happy to make it my shout. Surely you jest about airlines not delivering passengers luggage lol However, I truly appreciate the kindness of your offer which I hope not to use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CArry a set of airline firearms regulations with you..It saves a lot grief when you slap that puppy in their face, it really makes them look stupid..Ive used it in Houston and Dallas. they stutter and go uh ah ok well Ill let you by this time, That's time to tell them ok I'll bring my lawyer next time, what did you say your name was!! Ive carried those regs for years. and they work every time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote