THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Does anybody use Talley scope mounts??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anybody use Talley scope mounts??
 Login/Join

posted
I am debating what mounts to use for a new scope on a 300 Weatherby. Weatherby pushes the Talley mounting system, which sounds like a better mount system than the Leupold mounts and is considerably more expensive. Do any of you guys use Talley mounts? How nice are they? I have Leupold mounts on my 280 and they work just fine, but on this 300 Weatherby with the much harder recoil, I am debating between the Talley mounts and the Leupold mounts. Just wondering if the higher price tag is worth it for the Talley mounts. Also, if I have a satin or matte finished scope on a gloss finished rifle, should I get gloss rings and mount or matte rings and mount? Which do you think would look better on the gloss rifle?

Thanks guys!! - jatupper

Posts: 11 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have Leupold mounts on my .300Wby. Mark V, but Talleys are excellent, too. I have them on a number of my most accurate rifles, and they work very well.

The Talley is a more refined system, and a bit more attractive.

It's a matter of personal taste, really.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a Rem Sendero s-st syn Last Feb in a 300 wby, and went with Leupold Double Dove Tail mounts. About as solid as you can get.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Talley scope mounts and they not only look good they provide a solid scope mount. One of the things often overlooked with these rings is that they have as neutral a finish as you can get. In other words you can use a gloss or matte finished scope and they do not look out of place.

They are however a bit pricey but you can count on a solid scope mounting arrangement. The folks at Talley are also great to deal with as their interest seems to be in providing quality customer support. (I have no personal stake with this company by the way)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm planning to put a set on a custom model 70. They will sit on a couple of custom bases that have been perfectly to the reciever. I'll post pictures when the rifle is complete.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
I have Talley QD mounts on my .300 Weatherby and they have performed well. They allow me to switch between a shorter range illuminated scope and a longer range with duplex.

As far as matte versus gloss I like to match the most that I can. If the scope is matte then I would use Matte for the rings. CFA

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...and you can get a rear peep sight that pops right on the rear mount if you go with Talley's QD system. A great backup for a hunter's rifle.

I've been to their shop numerous times with various projects and they are always most accommodating.

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one set of Talley's and a few sets of Warnes. I think there both good mounts the Talley's are probably more asthetically pleasing. Although there recoil lug in there cz mounts does not fit as well as the warne recoil lug for CZ mounts.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have Talley, Leupold, Ruger and Warne rings and mounts on various rifles. I like the Talleys best. Did you notice all the rifles in the Leopold catalog a few years ago with Talley rings!?!?!?!?!?!

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I cannot say enough about how good Talley's are.

I love them!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Talleys on a lightweight 375 H&H. They have been excellent.

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOT TALLEYS..

BUT

If you want a system that WILL get you back to zero..

Have used the sidemount system on my .375H&H for almost 20 years now and all I can say is it works

http://www.griffinhowe.com/g&hscopemounts.cfm

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Talley's on my .300WM, QR's. They have been excellent!! Kind of a pain to mount properly, but they are the best "hunting rings" you can buy, IMO.

They go back to zero 100% of the time, as I switch out scopes ALOT!!

My bitch with Talley's are the "dork head" tool that comes with your rings. WAY TOO soft of material to be used more than once. The head broke off in the screw after a "grueling" two times of changing out the bases. I wrote Talley about the "dork head" tool, and they have yet to respond. LOL...Oh well. Still have a great product!!..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of kilmer
posted Hide Post
I think the wrench is a piece of crap by design. It's Talley's way of saying "Use this wrench if you want, it's a piece of crap, but the industry norm is to provide you with one. At least you won't strip out your screws with the wrench WE supplied you. Use your own torx wrench for that."

As for their customer service, I have always found them to be very pleasant to deal with. My dealings have been fairly limited with them, but the one time I had an issue (due to my error, not theirs), Gary had anticipated my problem, knew who I was when I called, and already had a new set on the way. I was very impressed.

I don't think you can go wrong with Talley's. Their alloy one-piece is my new favorite fixed mounting system, and thier QRs are as good as any you'll find, and better than any other 'mass produced' ones out there.

Posts: 27 | Location: N. Utah, USA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I think the wrench is a piece of crap by design. It's Talley's way of saying "Use this wrench if you want, it's a piece of crap, but the industry norm is to provide you with one. At least you won't strip out your screws with the wrench WE supplied you. Use your own torx wrench for that."

AMEN!! Well said!!..sakofan..I would sooo much rather they NOT provide that POS though. And it is a rather odd size, making it difficult to get the right size torx head wrench,IMO.

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote