Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could help me out...?
 Login/Join

posted
Hunting here in Western New York is a shotgun only proposition. In the Adirondacks we can use center fire rifles to hunt large game. I am looking to purchase a .30-06 rifle with open sights to hunt that area.

I have considered the following rifles:

Browning BAR Lightweight
CZ 550 FS
Remington 700 BDL
Remington 7400 Weathermaster
Ruger K-M77-RSFP
Tikka Master Pro

I went to the local gun store today to look at a CZ 500 FS, but they did not have the FS. They did have a CZ Magnum in 375 H&H, but the cartridge is just a little more than I'll ever need for whitetail, black bear, and boar. I went on my lunch hour today to look and I'll be heading over there again on Saturday.

I need help deciding. Maybe I should stick with my rifled BPS! If you could help me out I would appreciate it because money doesn't grow on trees at this household.

[ 02-05-2003, 05:30: Message edited by: Don Monroe in WNY ]

Posts: 4 | Location: Snyder, New York | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,
One of my best friends and colleagues went to SUNY Cortland not too long ago and is from Buffalo. How is life in W. New York?
I think the CZ 550 FS in 30-06 would be a great gun for you. They are, quite frankly, a bargain. I would definitely prefer that over any other weapon on your list. I think the Ruger is probably the only other thing I would consider. That said, if you are not anticipating any longer shots, your BPS might just be the ticket anyway.
Best of luck to you and try to drink a Genny Cream Ale for my buddy!

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Life is wonderful here in Western New York. Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna have to pass on the Genny though. ;-)

Posts: 4 | Location: Snyder, New York | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Hi Don, I hunt with two BAR's and consider them a pretty good rifle, also attractive to my eye. Mine are in '06 and 270 Win. You might also consider the Ruger RSI, I shoot one in 308 and it's a very handy little gun. It only comes in the short action but I rarely feel disadvantaged carrying it. To me it looks a little better than the CZ and the fit and finish of the CZ stocks I've seen were not as good as the Ruger.

Almost forgot, think about the Weatherby Vanguard, they have them in wood for around $450-500 and synthetic for $389 in both '06 and 300 Weatherby at Walmart.

Remington 700 is also ok, Tikkas have an excellent reputation. I've never seen a Model 7400 that would shoot with the BAR's. I'm sure there are some, but the few people I've known that had them never got much in the way of accuracy.

I fondly remember my days in Binghamton NY, worked there for Link Flight Simulation for a couple of years in the early '80's.
Good hunting,

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
When you pick a rifle get a scope with it. I think there is a buck law in NY and it's easier to see those 3" spikes.

<Buliwyf>
posted
Don,

I would select the CZ 550 without any doubt.

Good luck.

B

<thomas purdom>
posted
If you are leaning toward the CZ 550 Full Stock, then by all means go with it. I own a CZ 550 American and a CZ 527. The American is in 7x57mm Mauser and the 527 is in .223 Remington. By little brother saw my CZ 550 with the single-set trigger, fell in love with it and the caliber, and decided he had to have one.Then he saw the CZ 550 Full Stock in the catalog that comes with the rifles and decided that was the rifle for him. Here's what we did. We went to GunBroker.com on the internet, and in the little search window typed in CZ 550 Full Stock and hit the search button. About five rifles came up, none of them in 7x57 mm Mauser. All of the CZs on that sight are from Phil's The Gun Room. He is one of the largest CZ dealers in the United States. Select one of the rifles and get the number off the rifle site. It is toll free. His CZ 550 Full Stock prices run from $519 to $539. There may have been a $20 price increase since we got Duffy's rifle. Anyway, you have to find someone with an FFL in your area that Phil can ship the rifle to. Those usually cost about $10 to $20 for their services. Call Phil, order your .30/06 and he'll tell you how to go about getting the rifle. Phil charges $18 shipping and handling for each rifle. You are probably looking at between $557 to $577 total (rifle+shipping and handling+FFL fee) for the rifle. Duffy put a Burris 4x12 power scope on his rife. The CZ 550 Full Stock does not come with CZ rings, as does the CZ 550 American. Now, as far as fit, the full stock model comes with the humpback butt. Duffy has no problem with the iron sights or the scope on his rifle with the butt configuration. It is a fast-handling little rifle, accurate as heck and downright pretty. If you do go the route of the CZ Full Stock, and you want to put a scope on it, let me know becuase I took the rings off my CZ 550 American and put some Talley Rings on it. That leaves me with a set of stock CZ 550 rings that are just sitting around. The regular price for the rings are $50. I'll sell you these for $25 plus whatever the shipping costs are. I don't think you'll do better for the money with the CZ 550, either in the American or the Full Stock model. Good Luck ... Tom Purdom [Big Grin]

<hunting1>
posted
All your choices are great guns. I have a Remington 760 in 30-06 with a Leupold 2 x 7 that I feel is perfect for that type of hunting. Any you go with will be great though. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Monroe in WNY:
I am looking to purchase a .30-06 rifle with open sights to hunt that area

Maybe I should stick with my rifled BPS!...

Hey Don Monroe, Some of the rifle models on your list do not come with iron sights. But, those same manufacturers do make other models that have them.

Just got a rifle a few weeks ago that I intend to hunt with using the iron sights myself. So, I can understand why you would want to use them.

I've seen some excellent groups shot with the new Sabot Shotgun shells in shotguns with the Cation(rifled choke) tube. And your "rifled" BPS should shoot them even better.

Out to 150yds, you would not be seriously handicapped using the BPS and the new slugs. But a new rifle is always fun to work with.

What is the "normal" length of your shots(25-150yds)? And what would you consider the "maximum" distance for a shot you might want or be able to take where you hunt?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be the Tikka, CZ and Ruger, in that order, admitting that a lot of my prejudice is due to a Tikka in 7mm Rem that came out of the box and started printing factory stuff in less than an inch the first day out.

A full-stocked CZ would be a beautiful rifle for the country you'll be hunting. However, as someone suggested above, I'd go with a little different caliber--like the 7x57. Not to restart the "Why not the 30-06" thread that was recently on this site, but I just don't like the caliber for northeastern deer. Shots in the thickets are short--and unless you find a friendly farmer or a power line cut, the '06 is more than you need for the under 100-yard (usually under 50 yard) shots that are the norm. Sure, it will do the job just fine--there's no such thing as TOO dead--but if the only hunting you'll be doing with the rifle is deer and perhaps the fortuitous black bear that crosses your path, it's not (in my opinion) the perfect tool for the job. I'm considering a new NY deer rifle myself (currently, I use an old Ruger carbine in .44 mag, which has always done everything I asked of it, and done it well, but I'm in the mood for a change of pace), and am considering a full stocked CZ in 7x57 or 6.5x55, but might also end up with something else in .260 Rem, .257 Roberts or a used .250 Savage. I think that, in a pure northeastern whitetail rifle, they're all better-fitted to the job than an '06. Again, though, I readily admit that there's nothing wrong with the .30-06. I just believe that other choices are "more right".

I'd also rethink the open sights. A few years ago, I replaced the peep on my .44 with a Leupold VX III 1.5-5. I can pick up the heavy crosshairs easier than I can iron sights, particularly in shadows and at either end of the shooting day, can find "holes" in brush, etc. It was a worthwhile investment, particularly with aging eyes.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO opinion 30-06 is a great caliber for a heavy woods rifle. My dark timber rifle is a .35 Whelen Rem 7600. I think the Remington open sights are pitiful, and I instead use a 2x7 Leupold, usually set at 2X. I've used this rifle in heavy timber for elk and deer, and neither has ever taken more than a couple of steps after a decent hit.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will be making a big mistake if opt to use open sights. I haven't seen any even half serious hunters using them for many years.
My first choice would be a scope. Any good scope. Leupold, the Bushnell Elites, Weaver, and Sightron are all solid choices in my book. Properly installed mounts are a must. You need to see the full image when you cheek the gun in a hurry. Very important to set the distance from your eye and above the stock to achieve this.
If that doesn't suit you, go to a peep sight. Remove the target disk and use just the bare ring. It is called a Ghost Ring set up. Very fast, cheap and will allow accurate shooting to 2.5 times the distance of open sights.
I much prefer a bolt gun for several reasons. At the top of the list is trigger break. A first class rifle is one that can achieve a first class trigger. Nothing will help your ability to hit something more. Particularly when under stress.
I like the Winchester M70 Classics, the Ruger M77, and Remington 700. All of these can have their triggers adjusted, or replaced, to achieve that "glass rod" break. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider a Savage M99 in .308 or .300 Savage. Reasonably light, fast handling, easily adaptable to receiver sights or a scope if it doesn't already have them, and probably as accurate as any on your list. You should be able to pick a nice one up used for less than $400.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote