New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game Camera
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The biologist has recommended two or three game cameras on my property to monitor whitetail deer. Specifically to identify cull bucks. I had camtrakkers years ago, before the digital age, but I don't have a clue as to which current model is best. I hear good and bad about all of them. Any experience/advice/recommendations will be appreciated.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
The Cuddeback No-Flash is a good one. It takes infra-red pictures (black and white) at night without setting off a flash.

During the day it takes good color pictures. Here is a black and white and a color picture from mine.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
After much research I bought the Leaf River infra-red. Bad choice. It is complicated to set up and takes poor quality photos. If I was to do it over again, I would definetly go with the Cuddeback.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I would do more research on Cuddeback before buying one. Some of the reviews that I have seen lately have not been very good. I had a bad experience with one myself, but I thought mine might have been an isolated incident. Why not go back to Camtrakker? Their digitals are great and easy to operate. I have two of them and love them. My newest is the digital Ranger. I have had 6000 pictures on my Camtrakkers in the last 4 weeks without a hiccup.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
You can build one yourself for a little over half the price of the commercial models. The catch is that you have to have some ability, a few tools, and a few hours to devote. I built a three and a four-megapixel digital using Sony cams and I love them!

The best site on gamecams that I have ever found is on Jesses Hunting and Outdoors - Game Cams - click on this link to go directly to the game cam forum.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is also a site that has the most reviews of any other that I have seen. Plan on spending a lot of time reading though.
Its: www.chasingame.com

Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
I would strongly recommend the Cuddeback. We have two of them and they are the single best management tools we have ever used. Both of them are the digital model (3MP) and have taken about 2500 pics each.

It has been immense help in identifying age structure of our bucks. We don't have alot of land, but we provide everything that the deer need, food, water, cover, and security.

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the Cuddeback as well.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote