New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetails - Fields Or Woods?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For stand placement which do you like? Which is more productive?

I've been at this since about 1970 and am still working on that one. If I have to let it all ride on just one stand, should I put it on a tree back in the woods, or on the edge of the woods where there's a shot covering a field?

I think this raises some tricky questions. In your area are there differences in deer movement patterns in each? How early in the day are you seeing deer in each (I think they leave the fields before dawn and mostly re-appear later)? In which do you see the most deer? Any difference in which you're most likely to see a large buck? Does wind matter more in either?

There are other factors on placing the stand, but just a couple more - are woods the better place as the season progresses (I suspect that's so) and how do farming practices enter into it?

The majority of people I've hunted with favor stands farther back in the woods rather than trying for field shots, often much farther back.

Anyway, I'm always looking for an edge. That's part of what makes it interesting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Each area is very differant is this a gun or bow hunt stand.

The biggest questions is where have you been seeing the deer is there a lot of pressure that keeps them out of the feild during shooting light. Are they pushed through the area by other hunters ect.

What is planted in the feild and are the deer useing it.

So. many questions

I have many tree stands out and move them often depending on what the deer are doing at the time I need to hunt

Posts: 19439 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is in the Mid-South. About equal amounts of mixed woods and fields. Fields are small to medium size. Woods are low rolling hills. Hunting methods for me are rifle and handgun but no archery. The majority of hunting is tree stands (some walk-up and ground blind). It's all private with maybe one hunter per 100 acres. Sometimes two hunters per 400 acres.

The deer bed down in both woods and fields and eat corn and beans from the fields. Beans that early on are hip high, they'll literally eat down to two inch stubs, beans, plant and all. As long as it's not cotton, they'll eat it. Well, they don't seem too interested in sunflowers and with milo I'm not sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shack, if you have ag fields that hold food deer eat, then the answer is pretty easy in my opinion, and that is to place your stand covering well used trails or trails with rutting activity evidence on them that lead to the fields. I hunt property similar to what you described ocassionally, and I like to place a stand say 30-50 yards back into the woods that allows shots into the field and into the forest.

Good luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish30114, I like your idea. I've done something like it, where there are two fields separated by a roughly 75 yard strip of swampy woods (I call it the Boggy Creek stand). I found this sycamore in there with arms that make perfect gun rests. The deer don't use that narrow piece of timber/swamp, but if the field in front is in beans or corn they will use that. This year it was a dove field with sunflower, and I found out the hard way that sunflower must not be a deer favorite. Excepting for tracks at night. Always at night and never when I'm hunting.

I could be way wrong about this, but I'm thinking as the season goes on and deer get fewer, the remaining ones stick more to the least accessible, more center parts of the main woods. But that's just based on seeing them less in the more outward field areas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WhereI hunt, it is a mixed bag. I usually set up where I can watch the edges. I have found more deer within 50 yards of the edge than anywhere else. Where I hunt, it is windy all the time. The deer will hide in the bottoms out of the wind and cross the tops only for the rut or to get to food. This allows mt to set up on ridgelines and glass into the bottoms. The "bottoms" are generally not more than 50 yards wide.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shack, larrys has a good tactic in 'watching the edges' deer are 'edge' animals is something I've said often--especially here in the South. Your tactics seem solid, and obviously you need to be on ag that is something the deer do eat--not much experience with sunflowers for me, but the little I have, soybeans were adjacent to them....

I'd always look for a patch of woods that had good trails if I could find it, regardless of where it was located relative to the rest of the patches of woods.

Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do agree with deer being animals that like to stay near their food, and I think they prefer crops to acorns if given a choice.

That's why that stretch of woods is productive back some 50 yds or so from fields. What I think is going on is they are in the fields at night (we've all seen where they bed down in fields), then leave before dawn, then hang around the edges after the dawn comes, biding their time before re-entering the fields. If this is correct it means in theory that we should have a woods shot before there will be a field shot. That bears out in actual practice in that I seldom get a field shot before about 7:30 or 8:00 whereas those in the woods frequently get their deer from about 6:30 on (assuming it gets light at 6:00). Of course it's not that way if the field wasn't planted in anything edible. You can still get a shot, but not the type one can generalize about.

Now, as far as hunting on a field's real edge, my favorite spot is an end of a small field you can shoot across surrounded by woods on three sides, on its end and the side behind your tree stand and directly across from you. The fancy word for this is cul-de-sac, or street closed at one end.

Ideally it's got multiple trails leading into it where they feed while making a short crossing. We have two of these, both productive. But, that's right on the edge, real field hunting with little view into the woods. What you have there are basically close shots straight ahead and to one side and a much longer shot on the other side down the open field.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
For stand placement which do you like? Which is more productive?
I like both and use both. Percentage wise, I'd prefer in the Woods/Swamps for calm, non-alert Bucks and the fields for Doe.

quote:
I've been at this since about 1970 and am still working on that one. If I have to let it all ride on just one stand, should I put it on a tree back in the woods, or on the edge of the woods where there's a shot covering a field?
That is a real bad situation when you do not have more than one Stand to choose from. But there are ways around it.

Once Deer Season ends, give it a couple of weeks and then begin Scouting. I do not like to Scout right before the Season Opens, because there is too much to sort out then. First off I look for water. If it is a hidden pond or a creek, I simply walk the area until I locate the Trails with the heaviest use. Then look for Secondary Trails which parallel or run close to the Main Trails. Doe will use the Main Trails. Bucks will too when Bumped. Otherwise, the Trophy Bucks tend to be slightly downwind of the Main Trails and paralleling them. That way they are able to locate Does in Heat during the Season and yet remain better hidden.

Scout a bit every other week if at all possible. Look for Rub Lines and old Scrapes. Once you locate them, begin thinking about how the Bucks will approach those specific areas. Rub Lines are normally inside the Woods/Swamps and one Rub can often be seen from another one, or even a few since the leaves are now off. Scrapes are normally along the edges of openings or fields, but can also be located within the Woods/Swamps. Since I do not smoke and am extremely careful about Scent, I've located some inner Scrapes by picking up the smell. A very light breeze is needed and it was always during the Rut, which is not when I'd prefer to locate them.

Mark your findings on a Map. If you can not get one locally large enough, draw your own. It does not need to be exact to a fault, just so "you" understand what you are putting on it. Aerial Surveys are available which are absolutely AMAZING!

quote:
I think this raises some tricky questions. In your area are there differences in deer movement patterns in each? How early in the day are you seeing deer in each (I think they leave the fields before dawn and mostly re-appear later)?
Some of this is dependant on the Weather and Moon phase. But there are no absolutes about how it always works. A Doe herd might be moving because of many things which are impossible to anticipate like being bumped out by Coyotes, Dogs, Wildcats, avoiding Bucks, stretching, shaking off water, going for water, etc. Yet, Prime Time is typically both Twilight periods for Doe Herds. Bucks can appear at anytime, but prefer to remain undercover during a storm, then come out to shake it off as the weather calms.

During the Rut, when the Full Moon is visible in the sky(day or night), the Bucks are up most of the time.

quote:
In which do you see the most deer? Any difference in which you're most likely to see a large buck? Does wind matter more in either?
Already answered except for the "Wind" portion. That is why your "One Stand" concept is a real problem - the wind. If you ever underestimate a Deer's Nose, the only chance of seeing one is when they are Bumped past you. No different for us. If we can avoid a really bad environment, we will go out of our normal way to get around it.

quote:
There are other factors on placing the stand, but just a couple more - are woods the better place as the season progresses (I suspect that's so) and how do farming practices enter into it?
Again, there are no absolutes. That said, if you have Pecans or White Oaks inside your Woods/Swamps which are real close to Water and adjacent to a HEAVY understory, you have located a great spot. But, it still requires Scouting to locate a few of the typical movement patterns and multiple possible Stand locations.

quote:
The majority of people I've hunted with favor stands farther back in the woods rather than trying for field shots, often much farther back. ...
Nothing wrong with that, except for how you go about reaching the Stand and what direction the Wind is moving as you are going in. If either is hosed up, you can ruin that Stand for the day, a few days or a couple of weeks.
-----

When Scouting, I use either a Climbing Stand or a relatively short(12') portable Ladder Stand. Either is quick to set-up and take-down, can be cleaned easily and does not make a lot of noise. Needless to say, you need to be in Full Camo, Face Mask, wide brim hat covering your eyes, gloves, as scent free as possible and some cover Scent on your Boots which makes sense for your area. It may be as simple as grinding Green Pine Needles under your boots(which are not worn at the Gas Station), or something local to your area.

The Climber or Portable Ladder would still be my choice for a "One Stand" problem. With either you can check the weather reports, re-check it where you plan to Hunt and then place that "One Stand" to your advantage. The Climbers available today make the one I started in look like a Model T compared to a 3/4 ton 4x4. Out of your multiple Stand locations, pick one so the wind is in your face and have confidence in your choice. You will learn and make better decisions as the experience increases.

Another nice thing is with a Climber, you can select the "Height" you want to be. In some places I have Hunted, if you go more than 10' off the ground, the surrounding "Limbs" prevent you from seeing Deer until it is too late to get ready. Then you have to wait for them to pass, without them hearing your Heart Beat! Wink

A HUGE advantage to Scouting all year, is you are actually in the Woods/Swamps/Fields. No amount of reading or computer time can replace what you experience for yourself, first-hand afield. You also get to remove fallen limbs and keep trails to your Stand Location Sites clean a little at a time, instead of having to do it all at once - which the Deer will notice. Then 4-6weeks ahead of the Season, you should be ready to do the minor Final touch-Ups to equipment and buy "New" (On-Sale) Camo. Let it acclimate to your area inside a sack or container of something similar to the broken Pine Limbs and Pine Needles I use.

Now there are only maybe a couple of other thousand things you need to sort out. thumb Big Grin

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a underground gas line that runs thru our hunting property and the gas company keeps it cut. If I had to rely on just one stand for rifle hunting it would be somewhere on the edge of the gas line. We see tons of deer crossing the gas line all through out the day.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too many points to cover, so I'll pick out just a few that Hot Core's post brought to mind - wind, water, weather, scent and site clean-up.

First, I'm mainly a field hunter in the sense of using a tree on the actual edge. I used the same tree on one of those cul-de-sac areas for 15 years until it was finally killed by lightning (the bark was burned off from the chain around the tree attached to my stand clear to the ground). Then I moved 75 yds to the other side on another tree and spent 10 years there before the whole thing was clear cut. This is a different location from the woods/swampy "Boggy Creek stand" I described earlier.

Now, as to wind, I've been able to "get away" with a good bit. I never wear camo, just an old, old Army jacket and jeans and no face mask. I don't wash my clothes before going and don't use deer scents. Since most field shots are not up close I've been able to do that. And I'm 12 feet up which means a diffused scent trail anyway.

The BIG thing I find on wind is how strong. If it's 0 to 5 that's great. If 5 to 10 that'll have to do. If it's 10-15 I'll still go but take the shotgun so I can switch over to dove, squirrel or rabbit if it turns out like I'm expecting. If it's 15-20 we'll stay home and not waste the gas it takes to drive 100 miles round trip to the farm. That's all based on four decades experience there.

One of the great mysteries I think is where do they go when it's windy??

Water. There's a small pond next to this cul-de-sac. I've spent a combined 25 yrs looking at it while sitting in a stand. Wood ducks use it. I enjoy hearing their whistling when they come in. Doves and crows light in bare limb trees next to it. Big fox squirrels run all over those trees and get in my tree too. Coyotes drink out of the pond. I've watched them thru the scope. But, one thing I've NEVER seen using it is a deer. I have never seen one even go to it let alone take a drink. I have wondered why. They walk all around it to get to the field to get themselves shot, but they don't seem to water at that pond. In fact they ignore the other ponds as well. Maybe the water isn't to their taste or maybe they find other moisture in the woods or maybe they use it at night, although I've never seen their tracks at its edge either.

I've always found that interesting, but I have no answer as to what the deal is. At first I thought having a pond near the stand would help, but I believe now it's a non-factor.

Weather. Weather fronts I think work on deer same as other wildlife. I believe they move before a front. When it's calm the few days before a front comes, especially one with snow or precip, that in my opinion is the time to go. In the period when the rain comes they don't move that I can see. And when the rain passes and the temps are dropping I still don't see them moving. It seems to be after all has quieted down again and returned to normal that they go back to their usual routine.

Site clean-up. When I cut shooting lanes, I like to take the cut branches and try to "herd" the deer by placing them so as to block some avenues and encourage them to go other ways. I guess that one's too obvious though.

One other thing that I'll throw out for comment. How long if at all should you avoid hunting an area where a deer was killed and field-dressed?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shack, good points all. I have had similar experience with some water sources, I think if there is a fair amount of water available deer drink it in very incosnpicuous places, meaning where you won't see them often! Having some water is necessary of course.

As to how long to stay clear of an area where a deer has been dressed, I bet you will hear all sorts of views, but an old fellow told me early in my hunting life, 'deer smell dead stuff in the woods all the time, so a gut pile ain't gonna bother 'em any'.....I think there is something to that, but coyotes and other stuff deer don't care for frequent carion/gut piles etc., so I don't plan on hunting for a big buck near a gut pile. I think you might see a deer--but it's the ones that are the most skittish that you never see, and that's why the get to be big bucks--if there is something out of the ordinary in their area, unless they are chasing a hot doe, they will back out IME....as you know YMMV.

Good hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My stand sits at the edge of a dry creek bed.I can look in there for movement or I have a field shot out to 600 yards if I choose to take it,I generally wait till they get closer.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things are different in the UK I'm sure but given shorter seasons I really wouldn't want to stake all my chances on one location!

I generaly try to have postions to take advantage of the available food sources in a variety of weathers and wind directions. Some areas will be great on a calm morning receiving the sun while others will be better on a rainy windy day. I would prefer to glass a wider area from a vantage point and stalk in if given a preferance but given driving rain will stalk the woods.

Food source, disturbance from others, prevailing weather conditions and your ability to get to killing range or necessity to wait in a single area all go into the equation.

At the moment all I have to do is locate oil seed rape crops and stalk or wait. It's the highest energy food source available. It takes strong winds to drive them off it and even then they are likely to be in the tiniest of dips that wouldn't appear to offer shelter but does.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey SHack, No argument from me. It is amazing at how diverse the tactics are we all use and still are able to Kill Deer. Sure makes it interesting.

Your mention of wearing regular clothing reminded me of a guy I worked with in Bama. Old Bill Lyda was a fine guy and approached Deer Hunting about as different from me as possible.

He came in one morning and said he had Killed a right nice size Deer over the weekend. So I pressed him for details. He said, "Are you sure you want to hear this?" "Oh yes, fill me in!"

He decided to go to a Stand he had not even bothered to check for Wasps from the previous year. Had done no Scouting, no Limb trimming, nothing.

Climbed up in the Stand around 10AM and decided to EAT an Orange. Orange mist flying through the air and managed to get Orange Juice all over himself and his rifle.

Not a problem though since he figured the "Cigar Smoke" would mask it. SO he fired up a stogie. Got done with it, ground it out on the Stand.

Looked up and the Deer was easing slowly toward him through the woods. Decided to wait and made a "quick Snap Shot", by yanking the rifle up off of his lap and dropped it with one shot.

I had no reason to doubt Mr. Lyda, but that just would not do for me.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I WOULD at least check the stand out before sitting in it...when you said the word "wasps" I thought I knew where that was going.

Although once in the pre-dawn while I was setting up to call in a gobbler I found a nice little mound to use for a seat..very conveniently located. And yes, it turned out to be a fire ant hill.

Then there was the time when duck hunting we flipped the johnboat over on the levee and got in it without inspecting it first. Can you guess where cottonmouths like to snooze?

But I do draw the line at smoking stogies on the stand...unless maybe there's a good Macanudo handy..

Anyway, as to deer, something else interesting..the times of day you see them. On the fields it's about 7:30 when I say to myself "OK, any time now". And we usually plan on climbing down and meeting for a mid-day break about 10:30 or 11:00 (it's supposed to be 8 degrees here Friday night, so Sat morning I'll be doing good to make it to 9:30).

If I don't see anything by 10:00, that's usually the ballgame. They just shut it down and don't resume moving until late afternoon, with lots of exceptions of course.

Afternoon hunts in my experience are generally a complete waste of time. That's just how it's been for the most part. We usually wait til almost 3:00 to go back out. And the thing is, your best chance on our fields ALWAYS seem to be just at the close of legal shooting hours and when it's on the edge of turning too dark to shoot. That's when they come oozing out of the woods and congregate in the fields, whichever field they choose, and that's different daily. Then you see them, barely see them in many cases. Like just shadows moving around out there. Funny, how it works that way. But, I guess it shouldn't be surprising. They do seem to be animals of the night and especially of the twilight.

Another of the interesting questions about deer hunting is, where do they go and what are they doing during the mid-day. Maybe they hide in those edge/fringe areas or maybe they just stop wherever they are about 10:00 and lie down and get some sleep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One does what he has to do when you only have 90 acres to hunt.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I use both stand locations. The stands in the woods portion are primarily used for morning hunts, when the deer are either still in the fields or just returning from the fields to bed for the day. You simply catch them moving from the feed source to the bedding areas.

The field edge stands are used for evening hunts, when the deer are heading back to the fields to feed. You'll mostly see does at first and let them be. The bucks will soon follow once they think the coast is clear.

If the bucks hang up and don't come out into the field until after dark, then set up in their staging areas between the bedding areas and fields, which is that 50-100 yards from the field edge. They like to hang out here just before going into the fields and use the does as a judgement of when to enter the fields. Be sure and play the wiind in these areas. I think these stand locations are the most critical of all stands when wind is being considered. The does must file past you and enter the fields unalarmed.

When I hunt wooded areas and known bedding areas I often will not get to my location until right at daylight or just prior; however, I stay for most of the day. This is a tactic I've just started to use in the past few years and I'm very surprised at the increased number of deer I see and when I see them. I have one place that you might as well not even think about seeing a deer until after or around 8:30 am until about noon. Some days, I won't see my first deer until about 10:00-10:30, and then, it is like a parade.

When hunting the staging areas, I like to be in there around mid-morning or noon and stay until complete darkness. Keep your flashlight batteries charged.

Hunting field edges, I usually don't make it in stand until around 3:00pm because the deer will not come out until just prior to darkness, usually within the last hour, or so. If hunting stand edges during morning hunts, you better like sitting in the dark because you need to be in there early, especially if you run the risk of pushing deer out of the field when heading to your stand location.

Good luck!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:

One other thing that I'll throw out for comment. How long if at all should you avoid hunting an area where a deer was killed and field-dressed?

Well, about 10 minutes after my middle daughter killed her first buck last Thursday, a spike walked out of the woods, stared at it for a minute and started grazing about ten feet away.

So.......10 minutes. Give or take.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote