THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Is an Aoudad possable with a Muzzleloader?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is an Aoudad possable with a Muzzleloader?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Man I have wanted one of these for years but I would like to do one with a ML. I understand they are a long range hunt. Can a guy get to 200 yards or less for a ML hunt? Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on your style of hunting. If you look at the pix of the Audad hunt posted in the "Outfitters" forum, the outfitter posts pix of Audad at feeders. One could set up a ground blind within muzzle loader range and catch them coming to a known food or water source.
In open country, I'd think it would be very difficult to stalk within muzzle loader range. From my experience they are generally in groups and have unbelievable eyesight, which makes getting close pretty tough.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Sure it's possible. Depends on the hunter whether or not they can get it done. Of couse you could always sit in a blind over a feeder but spot and stalk is way more fun in my opinion

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're in shape I can usually get a hunter within 200 yds here in SE NM.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 933 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aoudadhunter
posted Hide Post
I can get you within 200yrds or closer fairly easy if your in good shape and can move fast. I'll be chasing my second one with a recurve this year ( the first one took 9 days of failed stalks to get within 25 yrds and i slept on the mountain for many nights). We generally dont allow hunting near our feeders but we do make an exception for an archery hunter or if it's the last day and the sheep are too stirred up but we've never had to make an exception.

Bar B Diamond Outfitters
Specializing in Free Range Aoudad Sheep hunts.
Also offering all Texas native game and many exotics.

Posts: 131 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
I have no personal knowledge of muzzleloaders, but a friend in NM was telling me the other day that some now shoot out to 300 yards. If it were the only way to get a tag, it might be worth considering, but it is not on the front burner for me.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be done. I took one with a 14" Contender in .257 JDJ back in the early 90s.

It wasn't easy, and it came down to the last few minutes of light on the very last day of the hunt, but I was able to drop him on the spot with a 190 yard shot.

Be prepared for a physically-demanding hunt and you'll do just fine.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9368 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will absolutely love an aoudad hunt. But do yourself a favor and don't do it over a feeder or from a blind. Any lardass can get it done that way. They are meant to be hunted spot and stalk.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed several Mule Deer with my ML. I have been hunting spot and stalk for about 30 years. That is about the only way I know. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aoudadhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
You will absolutely love an aoudad hunt. But do yourself a favor and don't do it over a feeder or from a blind. Any lardass can get it done that way. They are meant to be hunted spot and stalk.
Agreed spot and stalk free range aoudad is the way to go!

Bar B Diamond Outfitters
Specializing in Free Range Aoudad Sheep hunts.
Also offering all Texas native game and many exotics.

Posts: 131 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted them with a bow twice around Vanderpool, Tx. I was stalking in very heavy brush but was able to get within 40 yards a few times but wasn't able to get a shot off it was still a great hunt. If you hunt on a ranch with good cover you should be able to get within 100-150 yards if the wind is in you favor. Give it a shot you won't regret it.

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing,

Prolly goes without sayin', but be sure there are Audad in the area you hunt. A lardass sittin' in a blind, much less a spot and stalk hunter will have problems if there ain't any within a hundred miles, even if you have protien feeders.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Spot and stalk, shooting from a blind, what the hell does it really matter? People are spending money either way.

How many of you are pushing to see a physical fitness test instituted before a person can hunt something??????????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Certainly possible with ML. Shot one at 27 yrds with a bow (spot and stalk). Spotted a group of Rams bedded in some trees and scrub while it was raining off and on. Set off on a stalk that took a few hours and the wind was right. Situation was right and it worked.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote