New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose Hunters
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
Leaving for my first moose hunt here in 5 days. My 300RUM is finally ready. I have got great accurate loads for Swift 200gr A-Frames, and Nosler 200gr Partitions. I am just wondering which bullet would be the most appropiate. I trust in Noslers PT. But love the wieght retention of the Swifts and like that they are bonded. But hear reports from the likes of John Barshness and other writers saying, they penetrate extremely well. Maybe too well they say. And they claim that the perfect mushroom will not cause the internal damage like a Nosler would. What do you guys think? Please, no recommendations on other bullets. No time really to work up loads. Just out of these two.

Thanks Guys, also, when you go with an outfitter like this. How does the tip thing work? What is generally acceptable for a Newfoundland outfitter?

Thanks,
BC

[ 09-23-2002, 17:00: Message edited by: bigcountry ]

<BarryH>
posted
Bigcountry,

Just close your eyes and pick one. You can't lose with either.
[Wink]
Barry

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 300 UM with a 200 grain expanding anything should be terrific moose medicine. Enjoy the hunt.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Which ever one you feel most confident in.Both
will kill a moose.A well placed shot with either
is moosie waterloo.
But beware;swamp donkey always gets the last laugh.Have fun packing.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pick would be the Swift only because that's what I used the last time I went.

tip wise, I went $150 American for the moose.

btw, I leave Thursday for Newfoundland also.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the nosler the best in my 300RUM. I havent tried the swift A frames but have tried the Sirocco and was disapointed in there accuracy.As far as what to tip i always base that on the level of service i get. I have had guides scare shootable game away from me( he got a pretty small tip)and have had guides who work there but off for you (they get a large tip). Ask the other hunters in camp what there thoughts are on what to tip, it also depends on the amount of hunters your guide has for the week.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bigcountry,
I doubt the moose will never know the difference in the bullet you use. People seem to strugle with this type of issue, when in reality it make almost no difference. Just plug him with whatever bullet you like. Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
I�d go for a more expanding type of bullet for moose.... they are really thin-skinned game, and with the bonded bullets you tend to overpenetrate them. It�s really not a big problem but if you want them to fall quickly, use the partition instead. With a 300RUM you should not have a problem with a moose even if you loaded it with peas or small chunks of chocolate [Wink]

<bigcountry>
posted
Well, I know that both could down moose, but its a forum where you can discuss things. And I like discussing bullets and seeing people's opinion. And its not only about recovering the animal to me. Its kinda the whole effect of it. The reason I reload, that satisfaction of being able to see a fist sized exit hole.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both the Swift and the Nosler on Eland, Zebra and even Buffalo...Personally I prefer the Noslers as they penitrate more and are more destructive internally...The swift turn into nice round balls with a puffed up stem but the are a little smooth...This works good on Buffalo but not so good on thin skinned animals...

However both will work, I just prefer the Nosler and the two holes approach...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My preference would be the Swift A-frame, though I have never used them personally. Noslers seem to explode their front half on impact (especially at 300RUM velocities) leaving a fmj (although ragged as Ray mentions) of about 60% of its weight. There will be a large bloodshot area just under the skin. On an Alaska moose which has skin up to about 1/2 inch thick in some places all the energy of the front part of the Nosler is expended between the skin and ribs. I think I would go for something that doesn't open up as fast and maybe makes a bigger hole down deeper than the back half of the partition does after it makes it through the surface. Whether this bullet is the Swift or not I am not sure. Ray's comment about it making into a smooth ball makes me wonder. I like Speer GS in my .375 H&H for making a big hole. Not sure what to recommend as best bullet in .30 cal.

This is all probably just converstaion anyway, as though maybe not the "ideal" moose bullet, either put in the right place will more than do the job.

BTW don't expect the moose to look very impressed at being shot. They are big and can absorb a lot of lead if not hit in the heart or spine.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
<GAHUNTER>
posted
Bigcountry,

Two days to go, Bro! See you there!

GAH

(Bigcountry and I found out that we are hunting the same town in Newfoundland at the same time with different outfitters, in case anyone was wondering.)

<phurley>
posted
Bigcountry -- I used a 250 gr. Nosler Partition Gold in my Moose, from a .340 Wby. The outfitter said it this way, "you can bring any bullet you want as long as it is a Nosler Partition". As a matter of fact you cannot go wrong with either of these bullets. [Wink] Good luck and good shooting.

<bigcountry>
posted
GAHunter, best of luck to ya. Hope ya bring one back so big you can't get it thru the front door. Too bad I won't be able to get up with ya on Sat. But will be departing Deer Lake at 9:00AM on Sunday Oct. 6th.

Thanks for all the replies. I will tell you all the outcome of either one I pick when I get back.