Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado elk 4th season
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted
I'm still recovering from the road trip home but thought I would throw up a couple photos of my annual elk hunt in Meeker, CO. We were fortunate enough to setup camp one day before it snowed on us. The little wood burning stove inside the tent was a great accessory.

We were hunting with either-sex tags and my buddy filled his with a 5-point bull withing the first hour of the first day (lucky dawg!). I wasn't as fortunate. I saw a heard of about 150 head with 4 or 5 nice bulls but they were too far away. On the morning of the 4th day we spotted a small group of cows on the top of a ridge under some aspen. The range finder said 408 yards. I knew my rifle was good to about 300 yards. I held the cross-hairs about 6-8" over the back of one cow that was quartering away. Fortunately I was prone and had a solid rest using my bipod. I struck her just in front of the diaphragm and the bullet exited under the shoulder with no damage to the meat.

We rented some horses and packed the meat out that morning. I hate horses but they're kind of like lawyers -- when you really need them they become your very best friend!

I was shooting my trusty 7mmRM with an 160gr Swift A-frame bullet in front of 65gr of Reloader 22. I have been planing on building a 338-06 out of a Mauser action for elk so this may be my last season using the seven. It was freezing cold and my body is thrashed but it was a great to put some meat in the pot.

-- ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Congradulations, looks like you had a great hunt.... thumb

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job, thanks for sharing! thumb

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Awww, don't ditch the 7mag!! Look at what it did for you! Nice going!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Job man! Congrates. Why dump the 7? Seems like it works fine to me, but maybe you are like me. There is always a reason to buy a new rifleWink
I love horses as long as I don't have to ride them. But they sure help packing stuff out of the hills.
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Nine out of 10 elk surveyed say they HATE the 7mm Rem mag! Big Grin

That said, I have a couple Mauser actions and '09 Arge bottom metal that I'd like to build into a matching pair of deer/elk hunting rifles. 338-06 AI for elk and 257 Roberts AI for deer.

The seven was my first hunting rifle and I have taken a lot of wild game with it. This was the second long-range shot I've taken and I appreciate the long/flat shooting capabilities. However, most of my hunting is done under 200 yds and from the photos I posted you can see how dense the brush is. I want a heavier caliber that is better suited for the area where I like to hunt. The seven will always be my back-up rifle, just in case...

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
aleaddict ----- That scene looks real familiar, it snowed my off Thornburg mountain the first afternoon. We just got back from hunting halfway between Meeker and Craig the 4th season. My group of 13 took 8 Elk, 6 Bulls and 2 Cows, plus 4 Deer. One Bull was a nice 5 X 5, the remainder rag horns, the Deer were ordinary but nice. As long as I get to hunt with my son and buddies the game is good no matter what size it is, and it all eats well. I used a .358 STA with 250 grain North Fork on my Cow and a .270 WSM with a 140 grain Barnes TSX on my Deer making a bang flop at 285 Yards. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Conglads---Looks like a good hunt. A wood stove DOES make it nice & toasty. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Brother Brian,
Last time I saw you unshaven was on your fishing trip to Alaska this summer. You need to take care of that. I enjoyed your play by play of the events on the phone today. Looks like you had a successful hunt.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah what the hell man?!? THATS where all our snow went 4th season!! just kidding Wink Congrats on filling your tags. We got 3/5 5 minutes after first light opening morning, but in 551 is was dry as a bone and warm enough to hunt in a sweatshirt.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of my buddy with his bull. Not a trophy animal but it was his first elk so he's very happy. I got a lot of ribbing from him on that trip because all I could find was a cow. The only satisfaction I got was telling him that I shot mine at twice the distance and used half as much ammo Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, if a 6.5x284 with a 140 Berger VLD over Retumbo will kill a bull elk at 925 yards, I can't imagine why ya need anything bigger than a 7mag. Smiler

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns