New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling Requirements
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Alright guys and gals- I have looked at past AR posts on traveling with firearms. Most of them have to do with going to Africa. I have also looked at Delta's site about traveling domestic with firearms. I haven't looked too much at TSA's site yet. My questions are as follows...

1- What lock was use on the outside of the gun case? I have some of those "TSA approved" locks that they can get in without cutting them off. I don't like the idea of using them.

2- Did anyone give you flack about putting ammo with the rifles? This is perfectly acceptable and I have printed off the regs.

3- I read where it is a good idea to have TSA look at your guns and put their "marker" on the case to show others it has been looked thru when you check in. I have no problems with this. Has anyone had someone else go thru their gun case after it had already been inspected?

Thanks,
Catmandu

Posts: 109 | Location: NE,TN | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Follow the instruction you got from Delta and read the TSA regs as to what you can take...they have changed over the last year and you can no longer pack flamable items like lighters, WD 40, etc even in checked bags.

General responce to your question:

1) Stay with you guns/case until it has passed through TSA hands ..I would expect they would require this...at least this is my experience. I use a standard Pad Lock...and have been requested to provide a key to TSA in the past..but this is no problem if you stay until the case has passed inspection. On my last trip to Africa my gun case was damaged beyond repair so I replaced it with a Tuff Pak and it does not require a Pad Lock...also does not look like a gun case...which I like for obvious reasons. I would use the TSA locks on my other bags.

2) Depends on the carrier. I use Northwest and as long as the ammo is in a separate container (like factory ammo boxes or plastic ammo boxes, where rounds are separted) Northwest lets you put them in your gun case.

3) Not sure about the marker part...they will look at your guns anytime you put them on a plane.

Just follow the airline and TSA regs and you will be fine...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jjs,
Thanks for the info. I have a heavy Kalispel case I will be using. I thought about the Tuffpack but could not decide. I will stick with a standard padlock for the gun case. Did you get extra insurance on your guns?

Catmandu

Posts: 109 | Location: NE,TN | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll add my .02. Make sure you first declare to the airline at the ticket counter that you have firearms BEFORE you go to the TSA. I spaced on a trip to Idaho last fall. I got to TSA and told them right off I had an unloaded rifle that needed to be checked. They asked if I got the orange tag from the ticket counter. WHen I told them I forgot I ended up in the middle of a HUGE hassle. The first thing the TSA supervisor told me was I might as well forget my flight (I was 2 hours early), that he was calling the police and the FBI. Thank God y wife was there because I'd still be serving time I was so pissed. This guy was unbelievable. Finally after going around with him for nearly an hour his manager showed up and he saw immeadiatly how stupid the whole deal was and I made my flight. Thing is they wouldn't let me be there when they checked my case and when I later shot my rifle it was shooting 3 feet high at 100 yards. Mad Up until that point I've never had any issues but you can bet I won't screw that up again.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skibum makes a good point...You must tell the folks at the airline check-in that you have firearms!!! You will be asked to sign a form declaring that they are unloaded and this must go in your gun case!

On my "Home Owners" insurance policy, I have additional insurance on all my firearms/scopes, etc. it covers those items anywhere I travel..if yours does not I would purchase additional insurance for the guns but check your homeowners policy first....

One other suggestion bring two rifles/scope in case one fails you have back-up...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote