New
Find
Notify
Tools

Region A, Wyoming Deer tag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll be hunting there in November. Anybody got any advice on a hunt there?

Posts: 802 | Location: Alabama, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is Region A?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I'm going from memory, but isn't Region A the northeast region...the Black Hills?

If so, I used to hunt there a lot but it has been quite a few years ago. It was one of my favorite places to deer hunt, as on the same ranch you could encounter whitetails and mule deer.

I assume you are talking about hunting on public land. I did 95% of my hunting on private land. I can tell you on weekends it can get a bit crowded on public land. You'll probably end up staying in Sundance.

About the only meaningful advice I can give you is weather related. If it's dry (no snow) it's hard to spot things and a bit noisy to walk. If there is old snow it will be crunchy in the mornings and late afternoon, best to sit and watch. If you are blessed with fresh snow, then you will have better hunting. The rut can set in suddenly in November with the right weather and it can change hunting quickly.

Be careful on property boundaries there as (like most areas of Wyoming), they take trespassing serious. Most of the good hunting is on private property and it's a valuable commodity that they either lease out or conduct their own hunts on.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Region A is indeed in the Black Hills area around Sundance. it consists of areas 1 through 6 and opens Nov. 1. I have never hunted this area but you should not have any problems getting a decent deer. Matt is right however, the better hunting will be on private land.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote