New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetail deer attack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some here may remember my post about a local kid's zoo owner who offered to sell me an elk for $2000.00. Well I got that elk on a swap for a 14mo old angus steer. But this is about deer. I went to his place today to arrange for crawfish for next season and got the story. On Friday he was in his deer enclosure doing chores without any problems . That afternoon he again was in the enclousure and was trying to seperate a doe from the herd when his 6 year old "pet" buck attacked him. He told me that the buck was on him for 45 mins left him with 58 puncture wounds in his chest , he was scalped from his left ear to about the center of his skull, he has a cut in his left side that took over 100 stitchs to close. He was able to get away from the buck by rolling under a correl fence. Told me he laid there for about 3 hours until his wife found him. Said that the buck was right there at the fence the whole time and that everytime he moved the buck would hit that fince so hard he though it was going to give. How many hunters do you know that will swear that whitetails really don't fight during the rut and that it is all a big show. [Eek!]

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do I smell fresh venison in the kitchen? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my brother just got back from saskatchewan deer hunting. his partner videod a buck that would sneak in on his belly and then hammer a buck at the bait. he did this a lot aparently. one morning, same stand, he went in just before light, he got charged. he got the gun up as a full speed charge was in progress only to the hip and let it fly. the buck hit him square and the gun went flying the buck mauled and kidced the heck out of him. he held his horns eventually and the deer bit him something fierce. eventually the blood loss from the bullet took over and he slowed down and died. he was coughing blood for 2 days. hes back now. the buck was an 8 pt 225lbs with 3 pts. busted off. hows that for a wake up call at 5.30 am?

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the last 60's a freind of mine family owned a small deer farm. He had the same thing happen to him puntured a lung and a kinney. He was in the hospital a long time. He was 13 at the time. That was a "pet" deer to. To bad it wasn't some bambi lover trying to pet one of them.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i had a simalar exp in northern ont a 10pt charged from say 60 yards i leveled the 75 caliber on his chest and booooom he went down like sea king helecopter or was that a labrador helecopter(i dunno they both cant stay in the air for long.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quail hunting a grown up fence line when the dog let out a yelp. Here he come around a small thicket with a nice 8 point buck in tow. The deer literally right on his tail. I yelled hoping to get the deer’s attention and keep him from harming my dog. The dog kept heading my way and the deer had no problem shifting his attention to me. Not sure what to do I stood there, when the deer got to about 30 feet away I decided to put a tree between me and him. He stopped for a second about 10 feet away before he looked around and headed off across the pasture. My father-in-law had hidden behind a big round bail of hay. He came out afterwards saying “Damm!, that was a nice deer”. The dog had stopped about 50 yds past us and was just sitting there. Came back after it was all over with a, sorry about that guys look about him. We all had a good laugh and continued on when three does come out of the same thicket.

Once the story got out as to what happened, my father-in-laws version had me hiding behind the large bail of hay with him standing his ground and contemplating a wrestling match.

Regards,
cjw3

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Crawfish, where did this happen?

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed that deer attacks may surprise so many of you. As an average, in Belgium, we have 1 casualty/year due to a Red Stag charge, compared to about 10 wounded by Wild Boar. Victims are mostly "recruted" among the beaters (drive hunts) who get charged by either wounded or cornered animals. On the other hand, Boars are much more lethal to our hounds, which rarely grow old. This old medieval French saying describes it best : "au barbier, le sanglier - au cimeti�re, le cerf..." (= Wild Boar will send you to the barber/surgeon, a Stag to... the cemetery). BTW, these remarks apply to wild animals, which are instinctively manshy. Pen raised or domesticated beasts, having lost their atavistic fear of humans, are still more dangerous, especially when rutting.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rick3foxes,
Just north of Fayetteville in Cedar Creek at a kid's zoo. I talked to the owner just a few mins ago and he has decided that the deer won't be killed. He feels that the whole incident was his fault. They will be removing the antlers tomorrow though. He told me that today it was descovered that his left leg is also fractured. Told me that he had no idea the animal was so strong or quick, his term "quick as a snake".

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year a hunting buddy of mine and I took his brother-n-law hunting just down the road from my place. The day before, right at dusk we saw a pretty nice buck skirting a thicket and decided that would be a good place to put 'ol bro-n-law the next morning.
Sure enough, right at the crack of dawn we hear a shot from his location.
We headed his way to see if he had got that buck and give him a hand. It took us about 15 minutes to get to where he was located.
When we walk up to him he looked like someone had beat the crap out of him. His clothes were torn to shreds and he was bloody/muddy from head to toe.
After he shot, the buck had ran into the thicket. He waited a couple of minutes and went to see if he could find it.
As soon as he got to the edge of the thicket the buck charged him and knocked him backwards. Grabbing the crazed, wounded deer by the antlers and holding it off of him he finally got his knife out of its sheath and stabbed the deer in the neck several times. The deer colapsed on top of him but he held on for "deer" life until it finally died.
As he pushed the deer off him, not 5 ft away, lay another deer, the one he had shot. [Eek!]

[ 12-04-2002, 08:15: Message edited by: Nutoy ]

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
One of our guys got flattened by a doe a few years ago. He was on a stand that is blind on one side due to heavy cover. Of course that's where the doe came from. Knocked him out cold. I was on the next stand, I heard a shot, then a few minutes later three feeble whistles (distress). He did not get the deer. He said he saw it coming out of the corner of his eye, and had his finger on the trigger as he turned to shoot, when he was hit. Lucky man, got off with a few bruises.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a wounded buck get up and come after me about 10 years ago. I managed to catch his rack with my hands at waist level. He shove me back several steps before I was able to shove him to one side and get another bullet in him at point blank range. At the time he caught me by surprise and my only fear was that he would escape. It was only later that I realized how dangerous that situation really was.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote