New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold or Zeiss?
 Login/Join

<yorick>
posted
I am upgrading the optics on my Elk rifle (Browning ABolt 300 WSM).

I know Leupold is considered the safe buy, but I am tempted by the new Zeiss Conquest Series.

I can get a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 for $360 or a Leupold for a little less money (VX-I 3-9x40 for $180, VX-II 3-9x40 for $260).

I did a search and read some of the previous comments, does anyone have any other opinions or experience they would like to offer?

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have a pre conquest on my .222 Rem and its has seen hard use and never skipped a beat. The .222 is a very light caliber so I would opt for a Vari x 3. I am told that Zeiss recoil test their scopes to the point that all Zeiss scopes reach the gun store sales floor with about 50% life in them from all of Zeiss's pre shipping tests. The source was Barnesses's book on optics. I have seen most makes die in the field all scopes are very fragile. The Leupold Vari x 3 seems to slightly out pace the other scopes our clients bring to Africa on a regular basis. Whatever you buy you should probably buy two of them. Go with the Leupold it is a solid choice

[This message has been edited by alekojjensen (edited 03-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by alekojjensen (edited 03-20-2002).]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Conquest is comparable to the Leupold Vari-III (I like it better) so you are comparing it to the wrong series Leupold. I especially like a quick-focus feature plus the very high quality image.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<monz>
posted
You�re comparing apples with pears!
The Zeiss has an higher overall quality.
The lenses are better, the reticle adjustments are more exact, the finish is way higher and the whole ergonomy is better.
The Zeiss will stand even the toughest conditions.
Buy the Zeiss and get the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest buying the lesser Leupold and using the extra money to upgrade that Browning to a Mauser 98.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<yorick>
posted
Ok, I'll bite, whats wrong with the Browning?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used both brands and have stayed with leupold. The new conquest is interesting,since its cheaply priced.
A friend has at least a dozen rifles with all high end zeiss on them and has had two scopes fail under mild conditions and then went through hell getting zeiss to repair them.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Caveman>
posted
I have plenty, and love Leupolds; Vari-X II and III, but I have two new Zeiss. 3x9x40 and 3.5x10x44 Of course, I don't know the longevity of the new Zeiss, but as of today, I would go with the Zeiss. The clarity is by far superior and personally, I like the reticles better.

Corey

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is only one way to find out about the "highest overall quality" of the Zeiss scope: Buy one and put it to the test. And don't forget to come back here and let us know how it works for you.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned both leupold and ziess and much prefer the ziess due to it being brighter and clearer.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<BusPilot>
posted
Don't mean to throw a wrench in the well-oiled gears, but have you considered the Burris Signature "Safari." You'd think I'd vote for the L brand living in Oregon, but I'm hearing great things from a guy who uses the Burris and has shot more game than I have a lifetime left to shoot!

------------------
God, Guns and Gibsons...doesn't get much better than that!

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Burris makes a great scope I feel they are a little heavy. The conquests are US built scopes, I hope they are held to the same standards as their German brothers. The reference for the recoil testing of Zeiss scopes can be found in OPTICS FOR THE HUNTER by John Barsness.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
The conquest line of scopes have a etched in glass retical, which I believe nightforce scopes uses. so recoil should not be a problem.just about every scope made has been looked at through my eyes. And the ziess blows leupold away. The 30mm leuplold scope is not even as bright as the ziess conquest I like them so much I am getting another one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ziess. Paid more than the rifle that held it for the darn thing. Two problems: not enough eye reielf and a very critial eye relief. I had to get my eye in perfect position to get a sight picture. Off a fraction of an inch and it was darkness. The Zeiss is a great scope. The optics are excellent. The fit and finish, the best. It and I just didn't get along. So I replaced it with a Leuplod 6 power with the fancy coated lenses. The Leupold is like having an average looking wife as opposed to a ceneterfold. It gets the job done without the flash.

Finally Burris. I had a relative that worked for Burris for many years. I know about their quality control.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Sten the man>
posted

Go for the Zeiss Diavari Victory 3-12X56.It is the best riflescope you can bey for money, real state of the art! Better than the Zeiss Coquest. In Europa we must pay $1800 for the Victory!

Mvh Sten

<Delta Hunter>
posted
I've owned my 3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest since July and have used it extensively at the range and while hunting. I have fired at least 400 rounds of .300 Wby ammo under it and it hasn't blinked. I've owned several Leupolds VariX-III's and while they're good scopes, they simply aren't as nice as the new Zeiss. Although I haven't had any problems whatsoever, I guess it's still too early to tell how durable the Zeiss will turn out to be, but optically they are better. I now own my second Conquest, the 4.5-14X44 and like the 3-9, it's impressive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at both scopes recently and ended up buying both and doing an unscientific test. I posed it at shooters.com. Here's what I found regarding the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44mm vs. the Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40mm.

I would not call my test very scientific but I took both scopes and set them in a foam cushion on a bench looking at neighbors houses, fences, etc. The Zeiss may be a bit sharper but I can't be sure. Pine needles on trees looked the same through both scopes. When both were set to 10x I couldn't tell a tremendous difference but when I put them both on 3.5x the Leupold was definitely brighter. In fairness, though, the Zeiss seemed to show the objects' natural colors where the Leupold seemed to brighten them. As the sun went down and using only natural light, I'd say the Leupold seemed to still be brighter at all magnifications but the difference was definitely marginal.

I definitely like the reticle (plex-20) better on the Zeiss, the duplex hairs were bigger and the fine crosshairs didn't cover up as much of the object as the Leupold.

Eye relief on the Leupold is noticeably longer than the Zeiss at all settings. I would also agree with what someone posted earlier in that the Zeiss appears to have more magnification at the same setting as the Leupold.

I also like the fact that the Leupold could be fit with low rings and the Zeiss required medium.

I'll be returning the Zeiss tomorrow and keep the Leupold. I like the idea of lower rings and longer eye relief more than the reticle.

quote:
Originally posted by yorick:
I am upgrading the optics on my Elk rifle (Browning ABolt 300 WSM).

I know Leupold is considered the safe buy, but I am tempted by the new Zeiss Conquest Series.

I can get a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 for $360 or a Leupold for a little less money (VX-I 3-9x40 for $180, VX-II 3-9x40 for $260).

I did a search and read some of the previous comments, does anyone have any other opinions or experience they would like to offer?

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Greg Y>
posted
Delta Hunter. Please let us know how your Conquest holds up on your 300 Wby. I have all leupolds on my rifles, but have been seriously considering the Conquests. Thanks. GREG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Parshal:

Your test may be unscientific, but it is fair. More people should select products the way you have and depend less on hype and advertising.

While I'm unfamiliar with the Ziess, I have found very few scopes as forgiving in eye placement, both eye relief and side-to-side alignment, as Leupolds. This is an extremely important quality in a hunting scope, and often overlooked by advocates of one brand or another.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
I have an LPS 1.5x6x42 with German #4 heavy recticle on top a little single-shot T/C contender carbine(34 3/4 inches OAL) that I use for night-time wild hog hunting. Yes, it looks out of place. On a clear moonless night I can see enough to correctly aim at those short ranges(say 50 yards or less) for corn baited hogs. Even a raccoon shows up enough to get a practical sight on. Even on a cloudy night I can usually just see enough and this all in small clearings in the woods but with no dark(brush) background close behind the bait piles. Out in open pactures it is better yet. My 1.5x6x42 LPS with the standard fine duplex doesn't work so well as the recticle fades out. It is definitely better than my leupold 3.5x10x40 scope for such use as on moonless nights it just didn't get the job done.

<yorick>
posted
Thanks for all the input. I bought the Zeiss. I'll let you all know how it works out.