New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: GPS devices
 Login/Join

posted
Hunter308

First thing, I want you to know that I know how is I know how to set my VCR's clock.

Secondly, for the past 7 years I've owned one of the cheaper Magellens (payed about a $100 for it.) To this day I have not gotten it to work, where I'd feel comfortable relying on it in a pinch. My hunting friend agrees. He has a Garmin.

Long story short, I went out and bought a Garmin for about $120. It is much more user friendly.

Posts: 28 | Location: Buffalo Country | Registered: 02 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
At this level I think one of the garmins is the best bet. The basic E trax has some good reviews but I don't know if it is WAAS enabled...WAAS allows the GPS to be even more accurate from say typically an average of 50m to maybe 3m or 4m..

Garmin also do a range of smaller GPS called the Geko of which the basic one is the 100 and is just over $100..they have similar features to the equivilent E trax models but in a smaller package.

You need to check battery life of these as some use only 2 AA battery's or even 2 AAA batteries. I have seen some models with figures as low as 9 hours.

I have an older Gargin 12. It is a lot larger than the other units, but comes in a mil spec case and is powered by 4 AA batteries with a quoted life of 24 hours. It also has a socket on the back to hook it up to a 12V supply off your 4x4. It has no mapping and is not WAAS enabled, but has always been plenty accurate enough for me now the Military have turned off the Selective Availability.

All the units mentioned can be set up for UTM and all are waterproof. As already stated, any GPS simply compliments a map and compass and does not replace it..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote