Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it even possible on public land?

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 269 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are definitely some public land hunts.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rgrx1276
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Sprig:

Sure is… check out the apalachicola NF at 500,000 acres, quite a few wma’s in the panhandle area and there’s also Elgin AFB…

Posts: 45 | Location: Israel and Florida | Registered: 23 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rgrx1276:
quote:

Sure is… check out the apalachicola NF at 500,000 acres, quite a few wma’s in the panhandle area and there’s also Elgin AFB…

Neither of those areas are in the range of the Osceola turkey. One has to go further south on the Gulf side to find Osceola birds. . There are no Osceolas in the panhandle. They are all eastern birds .

My ranch (in Levy County) is barely in the Osceola range. It is considerably further south .

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of rgrx1276
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that correction. Mind slipped after a couple whiskeys last night…There is the green swamp WMA and the Hilochee WMA that he could use, not sure on a tag draw or not.
Babcock ranch WMA is 67,000 acres more or less but I bet the competition is stiff.

Posts: 45 | Location: Israel and Florida | Registered: 23 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few management area in prime Osceola areas . I cannot address the competition in those areas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional info fellas. I have a place in Miami so I'd like to be south if possible. The charter guy I fish with has a name if I opt to go with an outfitter but I've killed so many birds up north here I'd rather DIY it if I can. Heading to SW Texas in April to chase Rios on a bud's property....just thought it'd be nice to try a semi-slam. Right before I arrived at elk camp in MT in September the Merriams were all over evidently but pulled a vanishing act.....oh well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the additional info fellas. I have a place in Miami so I'd like to be south if possible. The charter guy I fish with has a name if I opt to go with an outfitter but I've killed so many birds up north here I'd rather DIY it if I can. Heading to SW Texas in April to chase Rios on a bud's property....just thought it'd be nice to try a semi-slam. Right before I arrived at elk camp in MT in September the Merriams were all over evidently but pulled a vanishing act.....oh well.

That is definitely Osceola territory .

I have a buddy down that way who hunts a lot on public land . He is a little further north but knows the areas well. I’ll ask him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry.