Find
Notify
Tools

Wood AND Synthetic (for Ray)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
Here are a couple of photos of comparable wood-stocked and synthetic-stocked rifles.
In the picture below - the rifle on the left is a custom pre-war Model 70 in 338 WM. It's ugly and woefully underpowered compared to the Synthetic Remington 700 in 338RUM on the right.

In this picture below are two cased take-down rifles. On the left is a full-stocked custom mauser take-down in 6.5X55. It turns into a pretzel if the humidity is over 60%, whereas the synthetic titanium takedown on the right (in 243/416 Rigby) is completely waterproof.

Like Ray, I used to have an unnatural affinity for fine walnut. Now its nothing but plastic and stainless or titanium for me.
Merry Christmas to all.
Forrest

[This message has been edited by ForrestB (edited 12-22-2001).]

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest
I see that the 243/416 synthetic is in white is that for formal use.

Rich

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is amazing! I have a similar 338 and an identical 243/416. I used my 338 so much it literally burst into flames. It's now in my utility shed awaiting some attention. My wife bought a new one. God, I love that woman. As for the .243/416, I have no luck making it shoot. My wife, on the other hand, took to it like a fish to water. She did, however send me to find a muzzle break. It attaches very easily to the end of the muzzle by removing the silver cap and is kept in place by tightening the lock bolt. The muzzle break looks a bit like a meat grinder, but it sure works. LOL

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LMAO...

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That was hilarious!

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
I see that the 243/416 synthetic is in white is that for formal use.

Winter camo. Paint it green for summer.

See? *Another* reason to go synthetic.

<sure-shot>
posted
I can't stop laughing!!!

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 12-23-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife has the synthetic, in a 6 qt magnum, that she uses to make for some fine eating!!

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LOL!!! Wonderful. Your immediate family should limit the time that your left to yourself to prevent the spawn of creativity! God forbid any firearms manufacture PR types see this thread. Albeit, it would be for their own good! One question. Do the scopes on the synthetics have the pyrex lens option?

[This message has been edited by DavidReed (edited 12-24-2001).]

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
BigR-
The 338RUM does heat up quickly. Don't shoot it too fast. Another problem is that it is quite light for a 338 - it only weighs about 3 lbs. The recoil is so severe, after each shot my PH picks me up, dusts me off and reminds me what I was shooting at.
As you and Jameister point out, the 243/416 makes a fine ladies rifle but it's a might heavy for long hikes.

David-
My wife walked in while I was taking these photos. I had a little explaining to do. Trying to explain to my wife a gun-related "inside joke" is fruitless. She thought I must be violating that cardinal rule not to mix guns and alcohol.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote