THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Accubond vs Partition for Moose ? ? ?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accubond vs Partition for Moose ? ? ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted
I am debating between the 200 grain accubond and the 200 grain partition for shiras moose in Colorado this year� I am leaning towards the accubond but I am a little concerned about the reduced penetration...

Any thoughts?? I am loading a 300 Weatherby Mag.

Any other bullets I should consider??

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Ryan-There are lots of good Premium bullets out there including the New Accubond and Old Nosler Partition.Both an excellent choice but my vote would be for the Partition,tried and proven for many,many years.The Accubond is fairly new but a good one it seems?I just like the ones that worked for me including the 200 Partition in .300 Win Mag.If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Either will get your Moose I'm sure out of your Weatherby.

Good luck on your hunt..........Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

You can't go wrong with the 200 gr. Partition. The NP is the standard that all others are judged against. I personally prefer a larger caliber than a 300 WM for moose but if you are going to use the 300 the 200 gr. NP is the way to go.

Good Hunting,

Mark

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen alot of moose die to 30 calibers from 30-30 to 300 Weatherby and I can't recall any being killed with a premium bullet. I think either would be fine. The moose that I killed with a 300 Weatherby was shot 1 time with a factory Remington 180 Core Lock and down he went. Hat ever you use, you will not be undergunned

Posts: 62 | Location: MN | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either will work fine as will either of the 180gr versions.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If there is a high probability of a longer shot, I would give the Accubond a try. I've tested the 7mm/160gr in wetpack & find them to expand a bit more & penetrate a bit less, but @ 200g, penetration should still be adequate.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
There might be the possiblity of a longer shot. I like to plan for that possibility.

Are you thinking the accubond would expand in a more controled fashion at longer ranges? While the partition might seperate?

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
No not at all. The NAB has a much higher BC & if you think youyr shot i going to be on the far side of 300yds you'll end up w/ higher impact vel. & energy. The NP is all I hunt w/ so I would be happy ther as well. If anything, the NP is LESS likely to shed the front half @ lower impact vel. Either is a great choice in the .30mags.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
In my experience, moose aren't particularly tough, and won't go far after you hit one. In fact, I've never known, or even heard, of anyone who has lost one. I would recommend which ever bullet shoots best in your rifle, as they should both work well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like the n.p. and it has never let me down. when it does i will switch, till then , it gets my vote.

there is a good reason why is has been around for so long.

cold zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Partition if it shoots well, then the accubond and if it does not shoot well then North Fork, which would be my first choice. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
For Colo. Moose I would choose the Accubond. Either should penetrate one easily and the larger mushroom/accuracy could be of some benefit. But if we were talking about those monster Moose up north I would have to rethink my reccomendation.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan: Take a look at the recovered AccuBond's I shot this weekend out of my 375; posted under the BIG BORE RIFLES section. Exceptional performance! I shoot the original Nosler Solid Bases in all my rifles (I hoarded about 30 boxes in all calibers) because of tremendous accuracy and performance. I like Partitions also, but they do not shoot as well in any of my rifles, and I have never recovered one which had not shed it's front half. Needless to say, I was thrilled when they issued the AccuBond's. Will be taking them to Namibia in 2 weeks for kudu, gemsbok, zebra, and eland.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the accubond expands just as well as the partition but has a better ballistic coef. Seems like common sense to me.