Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A-Max any good ?
 Login/Join

posted
About to cull a lot of wild horse and camel out here on big cattle property.Will be useing 300win mag and 7mm stw out to 500yds.Could you guys give me info on A-Max Hornady around 160gr in both cals,or maybe some over projectile you have tried on this size animal. Thanks a lot and looking forward to your input. 6mmbr fan.....

Posts: 10 | Location: australia | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
The A-Max is really a target bullet I believe....You may want to consider a bullet that's a bit 'tougher'

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the previous post and say that you should consider a different bullet for the task at hand.

While Hornady does suggest that the A-Max are good for some hunting situations, they only recommend them for light game.

For something like a wild horse or camel, I would certainly choose a tougher projectile.

Something on the order of the Hornady Interlock or any of the new bonded bullets would be more like it. Heck, I would even be tempted to use something like a Nosler Partition on something with a bone structure as tough as a horse.

Then again, I guess Nosler Partitions might get expensive for what you have in mind.

I would use a standard HUNTING bullet if I were you, a Hornady, a Sierra, a Remington, etc.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 6mm,

The AMAX is -NOT- the bullet to be using on camels and brumbies. It is way to sift for any short range work and not overly predictible at long rang. Your choice of a .300 is go for these targets, thou I am no 7stw fan. We have used 1000's of the Hornady light mag 165gr and the Federal 165gr Tropy bonded in the .308win factory loads. In the .300 and .375 they used the remington safari loading with Swift bullets.
This is expensive but they are not to be fooled with , they both can take plenty of lead.

ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send out a call for Terry Blauwkamp on this one. He has plenty of bullet smarts.

ED

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I would use a good 200gr bullet in your .300win mag and something around 160gr for your 7mm.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6mmbrFan,
Questions concening long range and tgt bullets such as A-Max and MatchKings has started some long and unpleasant threads on this site. The most disparaging comments are from those who have never tried the bullet and are not capable of making accurate shots to the distances in question.

I suggest you ask your question on www.longrangehunting.com

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again we see a product be used wrong and then those who beleive it so prerated for there opinion.
The matchking is not a game bullet, most seirras aren't, there are so many better choices that it boggles the mind why this would even have to be repaeted. I just don't get it.
As for the AMAX it is being fazed out , why is that, not sure but would say that from the 100 or so I have saw in culling operations it is because the are varmit bullets for large calibers.
Hell I may be wrong and I am sure that my file on over 8000 confirmed killes in the name of culling/bullet research is probably flawed because it still comes down to the fact that a partition is about as good as it gets.

Sorry for using hard earned( and expense) facts.

ED