New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite factory ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is your favourite factory ammo - and why?

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
For my main rig, I prefer Hornady Custom ammo. Or, maybe I should say IT prefers Hornady Custom. It's consistent across lots, and, to me, this indicates attention-to-detail that is absent in most other manufacturers.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Federal premium and federal classic. I just think they are the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Federal premium and federal classic. I just think they are the best.

I'll second the Federal. For sure my favorite is NOT Hornady. I bought a box of it and had TWO misfires in one box. (With a rifle that had never misfired before or since!) That sucketh big time! You couldn't pay me to use Hornady ammo again.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
federal always seemed work fine for me. However for the last few years, I have been using Hornady Light magnums in my 30-06

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
None of my big game rifles use factory ammo, but for smaller stuff (groundhogs & crows), nothing beats Federal Premium.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used some Hornady "Frontier" ammo in my .25-06 once and it grouped phenomenally. 3/4" or better consistently. I'm not sure if it's still in their product lineup.

I didn't use it for hunting though as I prefer to use partitions.

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Federal Nosler partitions in all the small bores (7mm-270-30 cal). Also have seen very good results with Speer Nitrex in my 7 mag. I would try the Nitrex in the '06 I think it is a good bullet.

------------------
Wendell Reich

Hunter's Quest International
wendell@huntersquest.com

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny,
Hornady light mags for the 7x57 and Remingtons for the 270.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Orion>
posted
None of my rifles use factory ammo

weidmannsheil
martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Factory center fire rifle ammo whats that.

Posts: 19599 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal Premium - very accurate and good bullet selection. All my rifles shoot it well. A good alternative to reloads if caught in a bind.

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Federal Premium with Trophy Bonded bullets. To me and my rifles it is good enough to let dust settle on the reloading equipment.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to be 180 gr. Remington Corelokts in the .308, just because. Now shooting through a pile of old CIL Dominion 180s that my father in law gave me. For the short-range hunting around here I don't think it makes much difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Ringo:
What is your favourite factory ammo - and why?

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
I have no favorite factory ammo, only shoot them for the brass anyway, group the brass by weight, and what is the diff? I will say that there is a lot better factory ammo today than in the past.

------------------
Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Fred B. When I use factory shells, I like the remington 180 core-lokt, prefering the roundnose version. Can't get them for handloading any more.

Most of the time I use handloads though, with 180 honady roundnoses. They seem to work at least as well as core-lokts.

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I prefer Remington Core-Lokt 100 grain in .25-06 and 150s in .30-06. All three guns shoot them under 1/2 MOA. That's what I used to use on all my big game until I got into reloading in about 1981. Since then I only use handloads. I do still buy them when someone has them on sale cheap. I punch holes in paper with them and then reload the cases.

------------------
Politically correct isn't!

posted Hide Post
Before I started handloading, I always had a lot of success with Federal Classic ammo; in fact these days if someone has a problem and they don't know if it's the rifle or their handloading, I always recommned trying Federal Classic as a benchmark. Also like Sako...my least favourite in Winchester.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Federal premium they are very good

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal Premium HE. A 250-grain bullet launched somewhere between 2,750 and 2,800 fps out of a .338 offers a tremendous punch on large game such as moose. Federal Premium is excellent, too.

My own handloads with 230-grain FS bullets launched at 2,830 fps has done very well for me, but it is very hard to duplicate the performance of HE ammo with 250-grain bullets.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma PS Silverblixt in 30-06 180 gr. superb shock and good results on wild boars red deers fallows and roes

6,5 *57R =>RWS KS
-----
konst#1

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote